• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

S1 Brake Line Front To Rear

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
I'm putting new brake lines on my S1. I ordered a kit that has all the lines.

My S1 has two lines with a junction in the middle going to the back. My kit doesn't have those two lines, instead it has one long line that should fit from the front to the back but bending it and getting it installed looks really tricky.

Has anyone ever put in a single brake line from the distribution block, "Five Way Connector", to the rear?

If so do you have any tips for me?

Thanks a bunch!

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
I would recommend that you get a copy of the brake line diagram Plate E-Section Q from the Parts List. That diagram shows a single brake line from the "Five Way Connector" to another "3 Way Connector" on the passenger side.

One side of the "3 Way Connector" attaches to the rubber hose from the body to the differential housing. The single brake line from the front connects to the body side of the rubber hose. The other two sides of the "3 Way Connector" connect a brake line to each rear wheel brake cylinder.

Bending of any brake lines can be tricky and use a proper tubing bender and be careful when trying to bend the tubing by hand.

If you have any problems getting a copy of this diagram and I will post it here.

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
I'm not sure what parts list you are looking at but my original Parts List book, issued July 1959 shows it with a double ended union a little less than halfway back.

Unfortunately I don't have the shorter pieces, I only have the full length piece. I want to know how difficult it is to pre-shape and then install or do I have to bend it as I go?

Or should I try to order the two correct lengths, which might be difficult.

And no I do not have a forming tool for the ends. I have benders and even cutters but not tool for the end tips.

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
I believe you are correct that the Series I did have the two piece main pipe that was changed after serial number B9115000. I looked on the Home Page for the PDF files for the Parts List and Section Q is missing several pages from what my Parts Book dated June 1968 shows.

I believe you can use the one piece brake pipe, unless your car is Concourse correct. If you want a copy of the diagram send me an email and I will attach a copy.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The long single brake line (as well as the fuel line) go through the drive shaft tunnel. This is what they did on all the later Alpines & Tigers.
The two part line snakes along & through the X-frame. Thats typical of SI, SII & S3, I think.
Jan

Wayne67vert

Donation Time
And no I do not have a forming tool for the ends. I have benders and even cutters but not tool for the end tips.
You can rent the flareing tool from your FLAPS.

I recently replaced my front to back line. I was able to use 2 pieces with a union in the middle. I had to make a flare on one end.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm putting new brake lines on my S1. I ordered a kit that has all the lines.

My S1 has two lines with a junction in the middle going to the back. My kit doesn't have those two lines, instead it has one long line that should fit from the front to the back but bending it and getting it installed looks really tricky.

Has anyone ever put in a single brake line from the distribution block, "Five Way Connector", to the rear?

If so do you have any tips for me?

Thanks a bunch!
Runner duck, if your new lines are stainless be careful they they are easy to crack when flairing. Use a good tubing bender they are not expensive.

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
The long single brake line (as well as the fuel line) go through the drive shaft tunnel. This is what they did on all the later Alpines & Tigers.
The two part line snakes along & through the X-frame. Thats typical of SI, SII & S3, I think.
Jan

Yup, that's how mine goes, through the X-frame. I really want to know how doable it is to use a one piece line on that model.

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've decided to go with the original two piece approach. If it doesn't work I still have the long one to mess with.