• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

S 5 1724cc Air Cleaners.

Jim in PA

Donation Time
Hey,
I'm new here so not sure if this is common knowledge or what...
It is diffucult to find correct/ factory style air cleaner assemblies. I didn't want to disassemble the original style air cleaner assemblies on the car now so I found the K&N replacement.
K&N 56-1390 is the right size all around the dimensions (Bolt hole alignment, Height, Diameter, intake aperture, etc...
The intake aperture needed modification with the Dremel cut-off wheel to create the cutout for the air port at Twelve O'Clock above the main intake throat.
I used a step drill to make a 3/8" hole on the top cover for the vacuum line.
I found "spacers" at Lowes in the Hardware Dept. the drawers with all the odd items. The spacers are 1/4" i.d.x 3/8" o.d.x 1" lg.
I used PC7 epoxy to secure the spacers into the hole and all works well.
It looks funny with chrome air cleaners but I have readily replaceable/ superior air filters now with extra sets of originals on hand for show.
Jim

64beam

Donation Time
Hi JIm,

Welcome to the Sunbeam community :) . You would probably find some assemblies in various places like this forum or Ebay as a first port of call. Some other Rootes vehicles may also use them. The original style filters also come up on Ebay regularly as well. As you said, they may look a bit funny, but hey they work. It's always good to have a bit of bling in the engine bay :cool: .

Regards, Robin.