• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Runs Rough When Cold

johnd

Donation Time
On a cold start I have to nurse the accelerator for 2-3 minutes until the engine warms up to prevent it from dying – even with the engine fully choked. The engine was recently rebuilt and runs great once it is warmed up. I’m running a Weber carb and have tried re-jetting the main idle jet (from 45 to 75) to no effect. Any ideas?

johnd

Donation Time
After initial startup the engine will not continue running at all unless I nurse/pump the accelerator.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
John, there should be a fast idle cam on the carb, actuated by the choke, that opens the throttle more than the normal idle stop when the choke is fully choked. Is there such on your carb?

Tom
On the Weber it may not be a cam.

Here's a link to an assembly dwg for the Weber 32/36DGV 5A:

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/v/vspfiles/weber_carburetor_schematics/3236DGV.pdf

But the part number descriptions are incomplete. See items 55 and 60, they are the Fast idle control rod and Fast Idle loose lever. At full choke they should move the primary throttle to a higher position than the normal idle stop. Not sure how it works but that rod should move when fully choked.

Last edited:

johnd

Donation Time
Yes - there is a fast idle cam that's connected to the choke. I've even bent the rod a bit to advance the fast idle - did not help.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Can you verify that with the choke on full, the throttle is pulled well off its idle stop by the fast idle lever? How far do you have to rev the engine to get it to keep running?

Tom

johnd

Donation Time
The fast idle cam moves as far as the fast idle rod will permit. I usually depress the accelerator far enough to maintain about 1500 RPM. After 2-3 minutes I can take my foot off the accelerator and the engine will idle steady around 1000 RPM.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Key question, Can you see the throttle move off the idle stop at full choke? If not, then there's the problem. My Weber is converted from an automatic choke and does not have a Fast idle lever so I do exactly like you for the first 3-5 minutes. If full choke does not move the throttle enough to get fast idle you have to move it with the accelerator pedal instead. On the electric choke versions there is actually a Fast Idle adjustment screw, but I can find no info on how to adjust the fast idle speed on a manual version. Maybe you need to bend that control rod (#55) more.

Tom

johnd

Donation Time
Thanks Tom - there is still some room for the fast idle cam to move before it hits the stop. I'll try bending the rod some more.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Tom - there is still some room for the fast idle cam to move before it hits the stop. I'll try bending the rod some more.

Its been a while since I've looked at a Weber, but isn't there an adjustment screw that contacts the stop?

Bill

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill, the electric choke version has an idle adjust screw acting against a cam. But I assume John has a manual DGV type. Instead of an adjust screw and cam it has what they call a "Fast Idle Loose lever". See the dwg I linked above. From the dwg I cannot understand how it works. But I have a paper copy of this dwg that has a more complete description of each part. #55 is the "Fast Idle Control Rod" . It pulls up on #60, the "Fast Idle Loose lever". #59, 61, 62, 67, and 64 are all part of the "Loose lever assembly. Note that all these levers have round holes, so they float "loose" on the throttle shaft. So I do not see how they can rotate the throttle shaft to increase idle speed. Unless maybe the wavy washer , #61, creates enough friction against washers #59 (with flat holes keyed to the shaft) to move the throttle. I have found nothing on line to describe how to adjust fast idle on a DGV manual choke version.

I am 90% sure that John's problem is that the "fast idle lever", is either not moving the throttle shaft at all or not rotating it far enough to get the idle speed up. But I do not know how it is supposed to work. If I am correct about the wavy washer and friction, maybe he has no wavy washer or maybe the assembly is too well oiled and has no friction.

Tom