• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

runing at 180

bluoval

Donation Time
hi all (i need a little help.) have just finished the instal of a new crate engine and have a problem seems the engine is runing at 180 but the guage continues to climb and peg out .so i replaced the sending unit and still the same ran the i.r. thermo all over the heads and performer intake, water pump and sending unit and get a reading of 180 to 190. the guage is right on at the 180 mark can see the little bounces when the thermostat opens but the guage reading continues to climb. the guage worked well when i did the tear down. i bi passed the heater and still get the false reading. thanks earl blu oval

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
The temp and fuel gauges go through an instrument voltage stabilizer and that unit is not the most reliable piece of kit... is perhaps your fuel gauge similarly wacky? If so, then that's where I'd look. Although I'm not sure why the IVS would go bad suddenly after a motor change, but I guess anything is possible.

See: http://www.rootes1725cc.info/wsm145/wsm_n/n_51.htm

alpine_64

Donation Time
earl,

What temp sender are you using? I knwo that there is an issue on tigers withthe modern and aftermarket temp senders that go into the manifolds. Are you running the orignal sender in the "T" block for the heater hose.. or an autometer one mounted into the manifold.. if i was you i would post this question to the tigers mailing list.. its been covered a few times IIRC

V_Mad

Donation Time
Are you sure the voltage stabiliser if fitted correctly? There are three connections: Input (12V), output (switching 12V/0V) and the case must be grounded. If it is not grounded to chassis the gauges will read high.
Temp gauge will also read high if the sensor/sender wire is shorted to ground.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sometimes I think that temperature gauges in these cars are a jinx. I am running a Pinto 2.0 with VDO gauges. Temp always showed 220 with engine temp measured at 190. Added a dedicated ground to the gauge, no change. Changed senders, no impact. Decided to screw it, 220 is the "normal" running temperature. Then day before yesterday, noticed the gauge was reading 195!

Bill

V_Mad

Donation Time
The gauge does not need to be grounded as it is not part of the circuit, but one other possibility of false (low or zero) readings is when the sender is screwed in using some thread locking method (in the case on the Tiger, the sender block also needs to be earthed). This can interfere with the grounding of the sensor which is the essential earth return. High readings can be caused by current leakage of the sender wire to ground (wire or terminal touching a ground).

bluoval

Donation Time
thanks for the input

i did use a teflon tape on the sending unit and while the engine was out switched to a volt meter( smiths ) due to upgrade to a 100 amp alt. the wiring for the volt meter light is different than the jeager and the temp sending unit is for the tiger. there is one other issue that may relate th the false reading and that is when i shut the engine off and with the starter switch in the off pos the red dash light comes on. didnt think it light problem was related to the temp problem and was going to sort that problem out next will attach the black wire that grounds the volt meter light and see if that helpd dont realy know if i can ground the temp sending unit was my impression that the unitis grounded by attachment to the intake .if im wrong let me know.the posts have given me a lot to think about.and things to trykeep them coming and thank you earl blu oval wanted to thae her to the good guys national in cols ohio tomorrow but too many gremlins at this time,so the world will not see this beautiful flaming black cat for a while yet

V_Mad

Donation Time
Teflon tape is an insulator and will not give a reliable ground to your sender. As the engine heats up and the metal expands, the ground connection may change giving unreliable reading on your gauge. You need electrically conductive sealant which you may be able to buy from your local parts shop.

Just my 2c on your 100 amp alternator; did you upgrade all the wiring to take 100 amps? If not the original wiring could get very hot under worst case conditions.

bluoval

Donation Time
think the problem is solved

thanks for all the tips have been in cols. ohio for the good guys nationals no i didnt get to take the tiger that was a real let down. spoke to the techs from ford racing while there and the advised that with the engine cold the sending unit be removed inorder to let acumilated air escape.tried that and the temp now reads 240 think im on the right track. also noticed that the sending unit although is tight and not leaking still has about another 1/4 to 5/16 threads showing maybe the probe is still a little high and with the air pockets i get the false readings. will try again tomorrow see if there is any more air and crank down the sending unit a few more turns..thanks again for the tips good luck earl blu oval

bluoval

Donation Time
it was all in the gague

found the problem was all in the gague replaced with a smiths mechanical and am runing between 80 and 90 c thanks for all the input. also replaced the tac and speedo with the smiths. had the problem with the tac being acurate to 3000 then hovering there elect ignition causing the problem .put in the 180 mph speedo just because it looks cool. am in the process of changing to all smiths cobra style thanks earl blu oval

chris

Donation Time
found the problem was all in the gague replaced with a smiths mechanical and am runing between 80 and 90 c thanks for all the input. also replaced the tac and speedo with the smiths. had the problem with the tac being acurate to 3000 then hovering there elect ignition causing the problem .put in the 180 mph speedo just because it looks cool. am in the process of changing to all smiths cobra style thanks earl blu oval

Did the Smiths Speedo and Tac fit in the original holes, or was there some kind of modification needed?

66Tiger

Donation Time
Speaking of temperatures. I saw an interesting little do-dad at a car show last night...not sure how accurate it is but neet non the less...

mr_gasket_2470B.jpg

Paul

bluoval

Donation Time
smiths speedo and tach

chris the smiths fit like a glove with no problems used the 427 cobra style had to get a reverser for the speedo due to the fact that it runs backwards that is the indicator runs from right to left and i like the 180 mph face it might also be noted that the tach must a year 2000 or later or it will not function properly with a pointless dist. they make an elect speedo that will work with the t5. i like the look of the cobra indicator lights and at just $3 a pop avail in red ,blue, amber, and green they fit well and have a better bulb that can be seen when lit ,unlike the orig sunbeam lights that are dim. i like things just a little diferent. good luck with your search earl blu oval

chris

Donation Time
I'm definitely going to look into those. I'm done trying to make to originals work with my new trans and ignition. From what I've seen and heard, I think Smiths are the only gages that will fit without modification.

Thanks for the info.