• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ross Hulse

Pumpkin

Donation Time
To those that do not know, last Tuesday Ross Hulse was going to work in the bay area. Evidently was clipped by another car and flipped his car. Resulting in a broken back, bad brain concussion and multiple cuts and broken bones.

Currently is in an extended care center in the bay area. At present cannot speak, or remember well nor walk.

Please send a care card to his home address and let him know we are thinking of him.

Ross Hulse
55 Smithwood St
Milpitas, CA. 95035

He had that beautiful late series Commodore Blue Alpine and sold it just before moving to the bay area 2 years ago, now has a Tiger in restore?

Ross was also one of the first along with me and few others to be Charter Members in this group.

Kind Regards
Chuck Nicodemus
Clackamas, OR.

65beam

Donation Time
hate to see something like that happen. i wonder how many of us that were charter members are still active with their sunbeams ?

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
I hope he makes a full recovery and can have fun with Sunbeams again. His Alpine is now owned by a guy in Charlotte, NC and we see it once a year at our SOS. Eric

Duke

Donation Time
So sorry to hear this.

A google serch yielded this report -

July 16, 2009

California Highway Patrol investigates head-on car crash with critical injuries.

Santa Cruz, CA--A head-on motor vehicle collision (MVC) injured two people on Tuesday morning. The Mercury News reports the two-car automobile accident took place around 9:10 a.m. in Scotts Valley, California on Highway 17. California Highway Patrol (CHP) state troopers say a blue 2007 Saturn convertible crashed into a 1989 Ford Econoline van. Santa Cruz County police officials state the blue car was speeding above the 50 mph limit southbound at Laurel Curve when the driver lost control of the vehicle. The car spun across the solid yellow lines and into oncoming traffic. The driver of the blue Saturn was 64 year-old Phillip Hulse of Milpitas. The van, driven by 40 year-old Manuel Reynoso, was registered to a resident of San Jose. The van was transporting crates of strawberries. Police authorities say the impact of the crash flung six crates of strawberries onto the freeway. The car crash caused both men to be trapped inside of their vehicles. Highway 17 was shut down for nearly two hours while Scotts Valley area fire rescue crew and police detectives cleared the scene and investigated the traffic wreck.

Santa Cruz County area emergency medical services (EMS) personnel airlifted Hulse and Reynoso to San Francisco Bay Area trauma centers for treatment by doctors and nurses. Hulse sustained serious injuries to the head and neck. He was taken to Santa Clara County Valley Medical Center. Reynoso suffered a number of severe fractures on his right leg. He was also transported to Valley Medical Center. It is unclear whether his leg can be salvaged.

66Tiger

Donation Time
That's a shame I have talked with Ross a number of times.

My family's thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. My wife suffers to this day from a closed head injury 20+ years ago...it's life changing.

Paul

Ross' Alpine...
picdsunbeam.gif

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Not a Saturn Sky!

Wow I hope Ross has a full recovery, this is scary for me. I always feel safer when I am driving my 07 Saturn Sky Red line, all those air bags, OnStar and computer nannies that are suppose to help keep the car under control. When I drive old Vicki the Alpine the fact that all I have is a seatbelt for safety I often fell very unsafe and worry that if get hit I would not survive. I will have to post this on the skyroadster forum there are so many good stories of crashes that the driver just walked away, this is the first I have heard of for Sky's that the driver was seriously injured. When the Sky's first came out a reporter from Europe lost control of his borrowed ride (Sky) and went over a cliff in California, he died put the passenger survived.

Donna
:(

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, Donna, to be fair the article mentions that the Saturn was exceeding the speed limit, so it may not be the Saturn being a poor performing car - it could be that it was just going too fast. Happens to the best of us - we enjoy driving and sometimes take it a bit faster than we should.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Hydroplaning

Saturn Sky is very prone to Hydroplaning, just a little water and since the darn thing is rear wheel drive with wide tires and 50/50 weight balance your all over the road, I normally don't drive my Sky if it is raining or high percent chance of rain. If I get caught in a down pour I slow it way down till I feel like I am in control. The Red Line with stock high performance summer tires are worse then the base Sky with all season tires. Some have posted clips & videos on the skyroadster forum of sliding in the snow to losing it during a road rally.
Well regardless this morning I drove Vicki the Alpine to work was a perfect cool summer day and after work meeting up with the MG club for our 3rd Thursday dinner gathering. I was planning on driving the Sky going home getting Vicki the Alpine and driving to the restaurant. Decided that old Vicki needed a good run and the Sky driver needs to realize that spirited Sky moves can be deadly.

Donna
:D

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Get Well Wishes from the Sky Forum!

Some post from the sky forum!

Donna
:)

firstpinkever
absolutley in my prayers, let us know the latest

08BlueSky
Indeed praying for both Phillip & Manuel.
For the proper guidance, treatment & care for all.
That His peace may fall on them so that they may rest well and give them the strength they will need for a quick & steady recovery and any rehab.

lllfly
This will help me slow down on turns. Our cars are great on turns BUT! I had a 68 Charger get away from me in the 70's. If you never had this happen to you O'boy it will wake you up big time.
GOD Bless them both.
Larry & Nancy

frednorris
First 2000 Sr. Member
Wish them well
Highway 17 is the worst road to speed on. It has lots of truck traffic and can be damp/wet at times because of morning fog. People need to slow down. Since the driver was from Milpitas, he probably didn't travel that road often. Let's everyone please be careful. Have fun but be wise.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for the heads up on this. I hope Russ has a full recovery. I sold him my tranny and often wondered if it ever got installed before he sold his beauty. His last post here (as Commodore Blues) was in May asking about the Ed Essinger's solid state voltage stabilizers. I posted a question for him to verify he was the same guy that had restored that beautiful car. Never got a reply. Now at least I know where he is. I will send a card.

Does anyone know if Russ's old website is still up? He had lots of info there about how he did his restoration. Links to it were in the old forum.

Tom

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
His web site has been down for quite awhile, but his instructions on lowering the convertable top for Alpines and Tigers still are 'live' on youtube.

Ed

Pumpkin

Donation Time
Hi all, just a note to say Ross is happily at home and resting. :D

Still recovering from serious bruises. As I understand it he was clipped from the left side, spun him around and he went into the other lanes of traffic.

It is too bad the CHP say he was speeding . From what Ross says it's different. He also has some damage to the side of the left 1/4 panel that came from an unknown car.

The reason his site is down is that when he moved he got too darn busy to keep it up..
Transmission, yes we got it in and it ran real good.
My two P...
chuck