• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rootes video showing the Harrington at Le Mans

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
In conjunction with the previous posting showcasing Steve's Harrington Le Mans being covered by Dennis Gage from My Classic Car. The following encompasses two Rootes promotional videos showing the Premier of the Alpine and the Harrington Alpine at the 1961 24 Hours Le Mans.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Jerry,

that's a very nice video. Incidentally I watched it yesterday too. Quite a relaxing session after I fought the whole Sunday afternoon with disassembly of a Series 2 front axle...

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I just finished putting together the #41 Sebring Alpine's front axle. I will finish up with the LSD (4.55) rear end tomorrow. We must love putting in the tremendous amount of hours. Whew, and sweat with the occasional blip blip blip.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Jerry,
Did you get an agreement with the Seacrest Green color? If so, what paint are you using? Just curious. I'm still sold on #22 Glasurit S/S...that stuff is like hardened power coating but it buffs out okay, if you apply it on properly. If you get orange peel...forget it...LoL!
Jan

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I will finish up with the LSD (4.55) rear end...
On the Tedder Project (Newsletter article back in the day) Ian & I used a 4:22 originally for Mid-Ohio. It was too much. We put a 3:70 gear in it and lap times dropped like many, many seconds.
Jan

alpine_64

Donation Time
The first gear in the alpine is so low that the 4.22 makes it barely useful on a street car... And utterly useless on track... A 4.55 would be useful for a hill climb.... I don't think that good on a road circuit.

While Jerry will have overdrive to help with the higher speed sections I'd think the 3.89 would be more useful as a final drive as it will lengthen 2nd gear which is more useful.

Running an alpine on track it's all about carrying speed, i found many corners can be carried in 3rd... A taller 2nd gear would offer more advantage than any acceleration offered by a very short final drive... Just my opinion

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Loved watching the Video!!! Many Thanks for POSTing.

Just curious the cutting short on the Tiger at the end ?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Dan the bit at the end is the start of the " Tiger sharpens it claws" documentary of the geneva rally and also has the failed LM Tiger attempt.

You can find it on YouTube im sure :)