• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rootes Memorabilia

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Today was an interesting day... I received another package of Rootes documentation I hadn't seen before. Unique stuff including the waiver Don Sesslar had signed to race for Sports Car Forum.

Also, a Baugh Axle brochure - Baugh made the LSD for Bob Kime's race car. Apparently, there was a relationship with Sports Car Forum, too.

Even more interesting is the mimiograph copy of the "1965 Sunbeam Alpine Production Car Specifications". This was the document submitted by Rootes to the SCCA for competition approval.

Here's what's unique... on one page they show the Lat 9 Pie wheels as well as the LAT fender flairs but next to those is a carb setup which I think is a pair of twin choke downdraft Solex on a manifold that would mate to the Alpine.

The photo is so hard to see since it is on mimiograph paper but it looks like SOLEX 40's similar to those on a 356/912. A pair of them and the manifold turns up.... Very strange - I don't think the setup would fit under the hood. Not to mention WHY? And why aren't they mentioned on any of the typed forms?

There is also a nice letter from Shorty Miller, well known Turner racer, who tells Don that he was almost DQ'd at Meadowdale due to fuel being spilt out the tank filler neck on hard left handers. Don didn't realize it was a problem with the Alpine but apparently this happened in the following race, too, which is why Shorty wrote.

STeve

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Here are some of the images of the memorabilia. It is amazing how much was saved from that period.

hj1.jpg

Numerous notebooks with the programs/lap charts/setup information

hj2.jpg

The lap charts are really interesting as you can see the race evolve.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
hj3.jpg

These are the internal orders within the dealership for each race of 1964. Before each race the car was prepared. It wasn't cheap... typically these bills were running about $200.00 - for every race. Most work required the replacement of rod bearings.

There was one bill for a spare engine in the 700.00 range. Rootes gave them the block and crank.

hj4.jpg

IF we could only find more of these... very rare Rootes Reporters and The Sunbeam. These were the dealer newsletters and the Club newsletters.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
hj5.jpg

This top letter from Sports Car Forum began the discussion to support Don and the Sports Car Forum Alpine.

hj6.jpg

On the left is the brochure from Baugh driveline. They produced LSD's for the Alpine and I would guess Tigers' too.
On the right is the Rootes advertisement for the American Racing Silverstones. Believe it or not, they sold these with different offsets on the front and rear wheels..... I had wondered why the sets I have were like that. Well, it was the way they could have the front and rear track widths closer to each other.