• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rootes Inlet Manifolds.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I have bought myself a DD inlet manifold to be fitted to my Alpine. It is the type that has the curved intake runners not the original series IV square type (I would post a picture if I had one). Were these curved style manifold from another Rootes vehicle or were they after-market manifolds?

Thank you, Robin.

Armand4

Donation Time
I'm not quite sure what your manifold looks like, but I would think that a factory manifold would have a coolant passage (to help with cold starting) as well as vacuum ports. I don't think aftermarket manifolds usually have this feature because it saps a few horsepower. Here's Pierce Manifolds's Sunbeam page if it's any help: http://www.piercemanifolds.com/Catalogpages/sunbeam.htm

Wombat

Donation Time
Robin

I seem to remember reading earlier in this forum that the 1725 in the Rapier and Gazelle used a manifold with curved runners. This may be what you have.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies to my question. I will post a photo of the manifold as I received it. I sourced the manifold from Simon Nuske as I was talking to him regarding my overdrive. It was a very reasonable price too ($30). It must be a factory manifold as it has the cooling passage. Now I just need to the Alpine home to fit it.

Regards, Robin.

lemansvk

Donation Time
That's correct The 'straight runner' manifold was from Solex-equipped 1600 cars like Alpine IV, Sceptre I and (in Aus) Vogue III). The curved runner was from Solex-equipped 1725 cars like Sceptre II, Rapier V, and (in Aus) Hillman Gazelle. I am told that the curved runner gives better airflow which seems probable

Cheers, Vic
Robin

I seem to remember reading earlier in this forum that the 1725 in the Rapier and Gazelle used a manifold with curved runners. This may be what you have.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies to my question. I will post a photo of the manifold as I received it. I sourced the manifold from Simon Nuske as I was talking to him regarding my overdrive. It was a very reasonable price too ($30). It must be a factory manifold as it has the cooling passage. Now I just need to the Alpine home to fit it.

Regards, Robin.

Rob,

Thats a great price. I would advise taking the manifold down to woody who has the hydro blasting service out the back of brroklands cars in sandringham (think its called hydro-blast) get hiom to clean the manifold up for you, will probably cost 30-50 but will look fantastic

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Michael,

It would be good to get the manifold hydro cleaned, but it is not so close to me. I will clean it up myself to start with and see if I'm happy with my effort (if not then off to the hydro blasters). Here is the photo that I promised.

Regards, Robin.