• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rootes group engine identify ?

Paul N.

Donation Time
If the dipstick goes into the block, 5 main 1725, if it goes into the pan via a tube, then 3 main other size. While not absolutely definitive since there could be a mix of parts or alterations, this will probably be correct.

If there's a dipstick hole in the block, it's a 5-bearing engine but not all five-bearing engines were 1,724cc, some were 1,496cc with the same bore but a shorter 71·6mm throw crankshaft.

The dipstick into sump isn't definitive as an early sump with side dipstick tube will also fit a five-bearing engine. Any boat retro-fitted with a 1,724cc engine to replace the original 1,592cc engine will probably have an earlier sump and hence two dipstick holes as no late sumps had water cooling coils.

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
If this is Paul Norton, WELCOME BACK!!!! I remember your posts on the old board and have really missed the man who is one of the most knowledgeable sources of Sunbeam/Rootes knowledge. Please keep posting on ALL of the threads Paul.

Ed

Paul N.

Donation Time
You're too kind, Ed.

Yes, it's me. I went through a bad time after my mother and my Pyrenean Mountain Dog both died within four days and I just had to take time out and I know I let a lot of people down. - To all of them I apologise.

Anyway, to prove it's me, here's a photo of me working on one of my Albatross Alpines:-

In1reduced.jpg

Paul N.

Donation Time
The dipstick into sump isn't definitive as an early sump with side dipstick tube will also fit a five-bearing engine. Any boat retro-fitted with a 1,724cc engine to replace the original 1,592cc engine will probably have an earlier sump and hence two dipstick holes as no late sumps had water cooling coils.

. . . . . And here's an example of precisely that - a 1,724cc five-bearing engine fitted with all the marinising parts from an earlier 1,592cc installation with - check them out - two dip-sticks!!

P10005691.jpg

By the way, this wasn't originally a Rootes Alpine Marine engine, this was a Sunbeam engine marinised by Albatross Marine. You can tell by the different sump cooling and various other differences.