• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rookie question-- models

Acollin

Donation Time
What does GT mean in the Sunbeam world? I've owned MGBGTs in the past

I read talk of a series III GT-- is this little more than a car with a removable hard top? Please include picture.

I have seen later cars--seemingly after series V that were built as hard tops.

Please enlighten.

Thanks
Andrew

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Picture not needed, its simply an alpine that lacks a soft top frame and only came with a hard top.

There are some other trim differences but the top is the big difference.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Along with the lack of a soft top this meant that the soft top storage area didn't exist, no hard metal covers on the earlier cars and no covered area on the series V, instead the area behind the seats had different trim and was a little larger. Wood steering wheel instead of plastic, carpets instead of rubber mats and different door trims. That covers about all the changes.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nice link, Scott. I had forgotten about that. But in reviewing it I see that the SIII GT had only 80 HP, vs 87 for the ST. What differences were there in the engines? or was it simply the air cleaner?

And also note to Andrew, the Alpine that came after the Series V, in 1969-70 was called an Alpine GT, but it was a fastback, not a removable hardtop.

Tom

alpine_64

Donation Time
Nice link, Scott. I had forgotten about that. But in reviewing it I see that the SIII GT had only 80 HP, vs 87 for the ST. What differences were there in the engines? or was it simply the air cleaner?

And also note to Andrew, the Alpine that came after the Series V, in 1969-70 was called an Alpine GT, but it was a fastback, not a removable hardtop.

Tom

The S3 Gt got the cast exhaust manifold to make it quieter along with the big air cleaner.. this cost it HP. The Sports S3 early on used the twin open Zeniths and 4 branch headers. During S3 production they switched to the single solex carb on both models and cast exhaust manifold so the only difference became the lartger air cleaner.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
The only thing that is not really addressed above is the concept of the GT. It was a "grand tourer" in the true sense. It was intended that the buyer would be someone who would generally run with the hard top on, and be a more genteel driver. So with the likelihood that the top would be on more frequently, and thus more weather protected, and a driver who might appreciate (and pay for) nicer features, they were able to add all the items listed above (like the wood wheel, carpet, wood dash, etc.). And this same type of driver would prefer a smoother, quieter ride than the ST.