• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rolls Royce

agmason

Donation Time
"Amazing; they had been in school until their late 20s and early 30s, gained the top degrees in incredibly difficult disciplines, and were essentailly illiterate. I especially remember one PhD writing: "It was a surprise to myself." "

Well, once you are past high school english composition is usually not a requirement to advanced degrees. When I was working on my bachelor and master degrees most of the instructors were foreign born and mangled spoken english at times. They probably wrote like they spoke.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Working in a profession where foreign bodies are not usual, most speak broken english and write well, others write like they speak. Never came up with an answer as to why the first group didn't speak like they wrote since they obviously knew the rules.

And Nick, you forgot a couple of the ones I see all the time, their -v- there and your -v- you're. I want to smack someone when I see these misused in memos and papers. These aren't the only ones, but seem like the most popular...

Nickodell

Donation Time
My mother wrote this for me when I was about five. I can't remember after 69 years whether she was the original author, although she was a Cambridge English grad and taught me much of what I learned of the language until high school. It is a hilarious exposition of just a few homonyms (words spelled differently but having the same sound) and heteronyms (the reverse) in our language, which has many times more than in any other, and sends foreign students of the language mad:

I take it you already know,
Of tough and bough and cough and dough?
Others may stumble, but not you,
On hiccough, thorough, lough and through.
Well done! And now you wish, perhaps,
To learn of less familiar traps.

Beware of heard, a dreadful word,
That looks like beard and sounds like bird,
And dead; it’s said like bed, not bead,
For goodness sake don’t call it “deed.”
Watch out for meat and great and threat,
They rhyme with suite and straight and debt.

A moth is not a moth in mother,
Nor both in bother, broth in brother.
And hear is not a match for there,
Nor dear and fear for near and pear.

And then there’s dose and rose and lose,
Just look them up, and goose and choose.
And cork and work and card and ward.
And font and front and word and sword.
And do and go and thwart and cart.

Come come, I’ve hardly made a start!
A dreadful language, man alive!
I’d mastered it when I was five.

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
This is great, Nick. I work w/a lot of foreign scientists (mostly Chinese at the moment) and I am regularly asked how to say a word. Actually, most of the time the researcher will say something, I don't understand. After much repetition of both the sentence and word he's trying to say, I can usually figure it out and tell him the correct pronunciation, generally w/a disertation on idiom and/or regional accent. This should keep my latest busy, when he gets back from China. :eek:
But what does any of this have to do w/Rolls Royce?:confused:

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
But what does any of this have to do w/Rolls Royce

I suspect that Nick is saying that when we pick our roles in life, we make a choice. That would be our roles choice:D

Other than that, I have no idea but if you want to keep this going, ask what weight motor oil is used in one... :eek:

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Great Nick. Makes a good point. English is a weird language.

There's an actor who's name makes the point. Sean Bean.... Now for the sake of being consistant...is it Shawn Bahn or Seen Been?

Anyway, back to RR... I always thought it was funny that all those rich folk driving around in RR's were being mooned by someone's mistress.:D

Nickodell

Donation Time
Weight a minute!

It has nothing to do with R-R, of course. It began with my stinging rebuttal of the strange person who, in his first post to the forum, charged that my dissertation on the brand was erroneous without offering a single example. In revenge I jumped on his illiterate use of it's, and the snowball kept rolling. Hey, we all had fun.