• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Roller Tip Rockers/Performance Valvetrain - NEW!!

panelbtr

Donation Time
Greetings all!

We have spent considerable time rebuilding our 1960 Alpine over the past few years, and have finally finished with the engine. Our approach was to create an original engine with modern upgrades providing a more powerful, reliable and tuneable powerplant. Where the parts necessary to accomplish this were not available, we designed and manufactured them ourselves. Now that the engine is done and doing everything we hoped it would do, we would like to introduce the parts we developed to the marketplace. Importantly, these parts will fit all of the Rootes 4 bangers (1955 - 1970: 1390cc, 1494cc, 1592cc, 1725cc)!

There are three "setups" available:
1) Roller Tip Rockers - these will fit an original, stock engine and can be purchased in stock ratio (1.5) or pretty much any ratio you want. They work with stock engines, but are strong enough to handle nearly any power upgrade you might want to pursue.
2) Valve kit: This is really for the performance minded individual. The kit comprises new specially ground oversize valves, special Beehive springs, titanium retainers, 7 degree locks and spring locators. This kit can be used for a mild upgrade engine, all the way up to a nitrous or supercharged race engine!
3) A complete Valvetrain kit: pretty much the roller rockers and the valve kit combined - which will net a bit of savings over purchasing individually.

Any questions can be forwarded to parts@classicsworkshop.com, 954-920-3303 or by simply clicking this link which will bring you to our shopping website.
http://www.thecreativeworkshop.com/Pages/page Parts.htm

Thank you!!!

65beam

Donation Time
new

that all sounds great ,but what did you do to address the dreaded #3 rod bearing spin ? that is where the problems eventually pop up and destroy the engine .

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Why *does* #3 spin, anyway? Is it lack of oiling? I've never seen an engine with that spin, so I don't really know, but would love to.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Why *does* #3 spin, anyway? Is it lack of oiling? I've never seen an engine with that spin, so I don't really know, but would love to.

there is a theory its oiling.. best reserach i have seen was brian holmes reserach on his turbo 1725 motor.. he did something where he filmed/photographed how much oil was getting there.. think its on his web page.

Also seems to happen to both 3 and 5 bearing motors.. so not somethign they solved... and i have done it on my 1494 motor

panelbtr

Donation Time
Regarding the ratio: Yes, the 1.4 is stock...we built ours with a 1.5, but we do have 1.4's and 1.6's readily available....we just mis-wrote our listing
(saying that the 1.5 is stock)...Thanks...

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
there is a theory its oiling.. best research i have seen was Brian Holmes research on his turbo 1725 motor.. he did something where he filmed/photographed how much oil was getting there.. think its on his web page.

Also seems to happen to both 3 and 5 bearing motors.. so not something they solved... and i have done it on my 1494 motor

Here is a question to ponder. The oil delivery to both #2 rod and #3 rod is accomplished in the same oil galleries, until the crankshaft. Theoretically, #2 and #3 should have an equal failure rate if the oil supply is the problem. So what makes the #3, and not #2, so prone to failure? Why is #3 different to #2 so that one can fail more readily than the other? :confused: