• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rocky Mountain Rebels Car Show

mgm6955

Donation Time
Been a long time since I posted on here. Hope everyone is doing well. The V6 project that my father was working on has hit a wall with his recent passing. But, I am determined to attempt finishing the project in his honor.
That said, I was informed that there my be someone out of Colorado that comes up to Riverton, WY for the Rocky Mountain Rebels Car Show Motorcross event. I have never seen a Sunbeam at the local car show (held July 16th-17th this year) but would love to see it. I am told in is a green color with a roll bar. Anybody know who it is, or if the do in fact make up to Wyoming for the event?

Thanks all

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Who was your father? Just how far a-long-was the V6 conversion ?

Sure hope you complete the project for your father.

mgm6955

Donation Time
My father was Bill Martin. He spoke with V6 Jose quit a bit about the V6 Conversion. I think Jim Ellis as well. How far along it is is what I am currently taking stock of. Looks like he did get the "install" kit, motor mounts, trans mounts that stuff. And I think the transmission back to the rear end stuff has all been done from the looks of it, just needs put back together. Motor mounts not installed yet but that's not a big issue. The engine is another story. As memory serves the last thing he had to do was install the timing gear and cover. We had discussed working together to put the engine back together but his health had other ideas. Locating all the other parts, bolts and what not laying around in the shed is a challenge.
I did find that the heads were laying on some shelves and have suffered from serious surface rust. I'm feeling good about finishing it with what I have seen so far and maybe it won't be so bad. May have to jump back on here for questions when I get into it more.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a few suggestions you might consider:

1. Install 2.9 V6 valves in the heads which helps the 2.8 breathe
2. Drill between the exhaust valves as per Sven Pruitt for better water passage cooling which helps eliminate cracking.
3. Close/plug the emission holes by the exhaust ports, drill and tap for 10 mm 1.5 threads about 3/4" depth so you can secure the bottom of the headers. If you don't there is a tremendous chance to have continued exhaust leakage. Suggest you utilize Hedman exhaust gasket as a template.
4. You might reconsider the engine mounts in the kit and purchase the ones I designed for the V6. Included is Anchor 2424 rubber biscuit which is superior to the kit ones.
5. Available also are headers that run straight back along side the transmission similar to the Tiger system. Designed to be up and away from speed bumps and other road hazards,
6. If you haven't yet had your radiator modified for the V6 Conversion, you might consider a new all copper core three (3) tube with 17 fins per inch for better cooling of your V6.

Click on the link at the bottom of my signature for a few PDF's that may serve you well with you V6 Project.

Conversion components and other bits and pieces you made need are covered as well as the Radiator Modifications, Heads, Valves and Straight Back Headers.

Another improvement for your Alpine V6 are the Rear Disc Brakes Components.

I'm available to help any way I can just to "Keep'em-on-the-Road"