• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rocker tight

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
Why are one of my rockers very tight, no movement what so ever, when I torque down the rocker assembly. One other is quite tight as well. All adjustment screws are completely backed off. It’s a 1725 engine. Head recently rebuilt with hardened exhaust seats. Skimmed only slightly

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Does it change when you turn the crank? Some should be tight base on the cam lobe location.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Were the rockers all turning freely before you mounted them to the head? Did you disassemble the rocker assembly while it was off? If you disassembled it did you put all pieces back to where they were originally? you say the 2 rockers are tight after you torque down the assembly, does that mean if you were to loosen a the mounting bolts a bit, that all will turn freely?

OH, I think I just realize that the cam and lifters probably are installed! and the engine crank not rotated. If so the rockers are likely operating exactly as expected. The cam at #3 and #5 are at or near the top position. I think in max up position the rod pushes higher than the adjustment amount. Or is the rod on #3 and #5 not actually in contact with the rocker?

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
Haven’t turned it over til I got some advice. Maybe I didn’t explain it correctly, the rocker will turn easily on the shaft. The problem is the push rod is hard against the adjustment side of the rocker and the other end of the rocker is tight against the valve when the assembly is torqued to 11 foot lbs. It is really tight on both ends of the rocker #3 especially, #5 not quite as tight. Adjustment screw is completely backed off.

mikephillips

Donation Time
If you rotate the crank, do they free up?? At any position of the crank, as the cam turns, there will be one or two valves that are in the process of opening or allowing a valve to close. The WSM details what valves open and close together, so it may not be an issue unless they remain that way as the crank rotates and you see others open/close.

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks, problem solved. Tom H, second paragraph helped me. Adjusted valves initially when #1 TDC then to 3, 4, 2, turning 180 degrees for each.