• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rocker ratio

muzzagod

Donation Time
I am interested in the Roller Rockers made by Creative workshop. They mention that 1 : 4 is the standard ratio on the 1725cc engine. Can anybody confirm this for me or lead me to a tech paper confirming the std. ratio? I thought std. was 1 : 5

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor
Rocker ratios

I have been to the Creative Workshop...what a great place and they have a very nice blue Alpine with some cool mods....They can answer your question as well as what the different ratios will do for your engine...mike schreiner

mototron

Donation Time
Well , I have 1.5 ratio on my rockers
Take your Full Valve lift measured at the spring retainer and divide it by the cam lift at the lifter and you will have your rocker Ratio
On my Race car with stock Rockers come out to be 1.48

Maybe there are different rockers out there
but I have two sets with that ratio

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Coltec (EX Holbay) has the following data for the E128 cam, of which I have one.

Chrysler 1725 E128 35/60 60/30 .465 .330 275/270

Where the .465 is the valve and the .330 is cam lift.

This equates to 1.409/1.

To do (measure) it right you need two indicators so you can record the point where the valve begins to move thus removing the error of the cam ramp clearances as well as the rocker tip lash.

I went back to look into some of my old team.net posts and discovered my memory is a bit faulty (RE 1.27 to 1.29 ratio). From my posts, I found that the net valve lift on the E128 cam was actually about .440 and on several sets of rockers yielded between 1.32 and 1.42 as measured with a dial indicator on the pushrod rim and on the retainer flat. I think Holbay was a bit optimistic about what they thought the rocker ratio was and ended with a lower net lift than designed.

If you have rockers with 1.5 ratio, keep them for sure, but be sure you dont hit the top of the block with your exhaust valves.