• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

RIP Common Sense............

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Saw this elsewhere and thought I would share - copied straight from another forum.

RIP Common Sense............

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Mom sent me this in an email, I thought it made sence and was truthful. I don't think it's political or religous but if a moderater thinks it is then please remove it.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________

My parents told me about Mr. Common Sense early in my life and told me I would do well to call on him when making decisions. It seems he was always around in my early years but less and less as time passed by. Today I read his obituary. Please join me in a moment of silence in remembrance, for Common Sense had served us all so well for so many generations.

Obituary for:
Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Aspirin, sun lotion or a sticky plaster to a student, but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know my Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm a Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Don: how did the Ten Commandments become "contrabrand"? Do you mean by not requiring children to recite it in school any more, as in the First Amendment to the Constitution: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion?

Nickodell

Donation Time
Speaking of common sense, here is an accident report from an old copy of Flying magazine:

(23 December 1991, Florida) From the National Transportation Safety Board report.
Aircraft: PIPER PA-34-200T, Registration: N47506
Injuries: 2 Fatal.

The private pilot and a pilot rated passenger filed a flight plan to practice instrument flight. Witnesses observed the airplane flying "erratically" and porpoising [i.e. rapidly changing altitude], followed by the right wing failing, resulting in a dive and crash.

Examination of the wreckage revealed no apparent mechanical fault of hull or engine. However, one occupant (female) was unclothed and the other (male) partially clothed, and the front right seat was in the full aft reclining position. Neither body showed evidence of seatbelts or shoulder harnesses being worn. Examination of the individuals' clothing revealed no evidence of ripping or distress to fasteners or belts, leading to the conclusion that their lack of clothing was probably voluntary.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

The pilot in command's improper in-flight decision to divert her attention to other activities not related to the conduct of the flight. Contributing to the accident was erratic flight excursions exceeding of the design limits of the airplane, leading to a wing failure.

Moral of the story: If you're keen to join the Mile High Club, rent an aircraft with autopilot:D

Nickodell

Donation Time
Mile High Club Founding Member

Aerial Petting Leads To Wetting
Lawrence Sperry - Flier, Inventor
Mile High Club's Founder

From Page B22 - Atlantic Flyer, May 1993

"There are countless milestones and record breaking performances throughout aviation history; altitude and speed, distance and endurance, and so forth. Perhaps the most highly prized and sought after is the entry into the Mile-High Club - that fraternal order of pilots, both male and female, who have achieved orgasm aloft. There are no official numbers, but evidently those who manage copulation in the air are far fewer than those making claim.

"If it is a major aeronautical achievement as everyone claims, then proper recognition should be given to the first person to attempt the sacred act at altitude. That honor can only be bestowed upon Lawrence Sperry, a daredevil pilot, mechanical genius, and of course, inventor of the automatic pilot. Born on December 22, 1892, Sperry lived only a scant 31 years. But in that short lifespan his accomplishments were great. At the age of 18, he built a full scale glider that flew. Wild in the sky, he made his first parachute jump in 1918 and flew loops under the Brooklyn Bridge. He would be the first person to fly a woman over New York City. As a mechanical visionary he invented the turn and bank indicator, retractable landing gear, and perfected the aerial torpedo. During his short remarkable life he held 24 patents.

"Besides intellect, Sperry was also handsome and rich, a combination that led to a succession of women, and according to biographer William Davenport, oftentimes multiple partners. The tabloids liked him, and had a field day with the stories about drinking and wild parties. You have to remember this was during a time when it was unlawful for women to display bare arms in public.

"It was during November of 1916 when Sperry began giving flying lessons to a New York socialite by the name of Mrs. Waldo Polk. Polk's husband was off in France driving an ambulance at the time. The couple were aloft in a Curtiss flying boat over Babylon, New York one day, evidently engaging in carnal pleasure through the benefit of Sperry's recently devised autopilot. Suddenly something went wrong, and the plane plunged 500 feet into great South Bay.

"Two duck hunters paddled to the wreck and rescued, much to their amazement, the naked couple. Apparently Sperry stated the crash 'divested' them of their clothing. The couple was brought to Southside Hospital, with Sperry walking, and Polk alongside on a stretcher.

"Local papers glossed over the fact that the duo lacked any clothes, but the New York tabloid Mirror & Evening Graphic, headlined their front page with:

AERIAL PETTING - ENDS IN WETTING

"Both instructor and student survived their ordeal and Sperry later told a friend that he bumped the gyro platform during their aerial maneuvering."

"Sperry would crash his Sperry Messenger biplane in the English Channel seven years later, ending his life.

"And Mrs. Polk...well, she continued taking flying lessons and did obtain her pilot's license."

Lawrence Sperry of the Sperry Corporation, and grandson of the original "Mile High" Lawrence Sperry.