• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ride Height Adjustment - Coil Overs?

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
There have been a few discussions about coil spring selection to obtain proper ride height. Has anyone looked into the notion of adjustable coil over shocks so that the ride height can be dialed in? It would seem that there must be something on the market that could dimensionally fit...not sure about the mounting hardware...that might take a little customization but doesn't seem like it would be too hard.

I assume that a 4 link coil over rear suspension could also be employed although that would take a bit more modification.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
There have been a few discussions about coil spring selection to obtain proper ride height. Has anyone looked into the notion of adjustable coil over shocks so that the ride height can be dialed in? It would seem that there must be something on the market that could dimensionally fit...not sure about the mounting hardware...that might take a little customization but doesn't seem like it would be too hard.

I assume that a 4 link coil over rear suspension could also be employed although that would take a bit more modification.

The idea has been kicked around on several occasions, but I don't think anyone has succeeded. The front shock mounting "towers" on Series Alpines are too small to accept the spring cap / spring of a typical coil-over shock and can't easily be modified because they also serve as the mounts for the upper control arm fulcrum pins and the stops for the "droop" bump stops. Never say never, but I don't see any reasonably simple way to put typical adjustable ride height coil-over shocks on a factory Series Alpine front suspension.

A much simpler approach would be to start with a little shorter conventional spring and use shims in the spring pockets to adjust the ride height. Remember that Series Alpines have very limited front suspension compression travel (2-1/8" for the "king pin" cars and 2-3/4" for the "ball joint" cars) and lowering the front ride height reduces the remaining compression travel by the same amount. The "right" way to lower the front end of a "ball joint" Series Alpine is with "drop spindles" from a Super Minx, but they make unicorns look plentiful.

If you want to go high tech, Dale's Restorations (dalesresto.com) sells a complete front suspension system with adjustable ride height coil-over shocks, but it is primarily designed for Tigers and starts at $4,350. Member Procraft has made coil-over front suspension systems for his customer builds, but I don't think he has sold any separately.

Several people have done 4-link rear suspension installations on Series Alpines (and Tigers), but I don't know of anyone selling packages or parts.

Last edited:

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I made a coil over set up for the stock cross member, it can be done with stuff off the shelf so to speak, we eventually sold the front end off and started building our ownIMG_1906.JPG IMG_1933.JPG we also have built a 4 (parallel) link set up for several cars we've done.

jwtdvm

Donation Time
I was going to start a new post but this conversation seemed to be similar to my question--I was going to go with a Mustang 2 spindle on my early series Alpine--From my measurements a Mustang 2 spindle already has about a 1/2 inch dropped spindle pin compared to stock Alpine spindle--I am converting my lower arms to a screw in ball joint and can juggle the location of the ball joint a little as well--Has anyone used a 2 inch drop Mustang spindle and how did that work out with tire clearance/suspension movement?? Is the Minx idea also a 2 inch drop?? Maybe a 1 inch drop would be more ideal???

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I was going to start a new post but this conversation seemed to be similar to my question--I was going to go with a Mustang 2 spindle on my early series Alpine--From my measurements a Mustang 2 spindle already has about a 1/2 inch dropped spindle pin compared to stock Alpine spindle--I am converting my lower arms to a screw in ball joint and can juggle the location of the ball joint a little as well--Has anyone used a 2 inch drop Mustang spindle and how did that work out with tire clearance/suspension movement?? Is the Minx idea also a 2 inch drop?? Maybe a 1 inch drop would be more ideal???
The Mustang deal has been done before, I think the ball joint taper is different but if you use the Moog joints and the screw in sockets(speedway motors)
you'll be good to go I'm using Mutt II spindles on my build but I fabricated everything xmember, a arms etc. were using 7" wheels and just set the ride
height and track width near stock dimensions, one thing you might consider are Wilwood Pro spindles the come in stock or dropped they are also taller to raise the front roll center pricey but nice stuff we've used these before on a couple of cars. here's what we did.IMG_1973.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1971.JPG
    IMG_1971.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 7

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor

jwtdvm,

Sent a PM to you.