• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

RHD LeMans

65beam

Donation Time
Rhd

The car now has all of the side mouldings . It took several evenings to install everything. LiBrandi's did a great job of polishing the pieces. The new door handles came in from SS last week so now it's time to install the handles and locks.

Attachments

• PTDC0169.jpg
    PTDC0169.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 44
  • PTDC0170.jpg
    PTDC0170.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 44

65beam

Donation Time
Rhd

Installed a few rear panels on a temporary basis so the upholstery shop will know where the headliner needs to be. He still has to cover the fender wells and a few other areas. Next job is to duplicate the plywood floor over the spare tire. The original is starting to delaminate.

Attachments

• PTDC0199.jpg
    PTDC0199.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 47
  • PTDC0200.jpg
    PTDC0200.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 47

65beam

Donation Time
Rhd

Dan,
It's a lot more work than the reassembly of an Alpine. I've been handed back a few bare shell Alpines and I took the red Harrington apart and put it back together twice and the 69GT was a rolling shell when it came out of the shop but this one is tougher than any of them. Ian sold this car as an epoxy primed shell with all the parts in boxes and shipped it to California. I picked it up in Reno. The shop in Tipp city did some things that had to be redone. Ronnie fixed all that but some mounting holes got welded up and I'm having to do a lot of drilling. At least most of the wood frame in the body was useable. The side trim was time consuming. It goes back to the upholstery shop the week after the United. Jean and I installed a new headliner in the red car so she decided we weren't going to do this one. This car was late production so it doesn't have the side vents behind the rear windows so it may be easier to install the headliner.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Unreal! Even with the panels in place, better chance of seeing the inside of a 48 Tucker restoration than this. In vivid white no less. Just looked up the Tucker. Almost all are accounted for. How many of these even exist? Hard to believe this car was ever discontinued. The styling is...George Jetson like no one else achieved. In any era. Thanks so much for sharing this, Mr. Bob.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Sunbeam designers were to cars what The Beatles were to music, they just didn't seem to have a bad day. I'll never own one of these, but oggling this project is a great way to end a day.

65beam

Donation Time
Rhd

Dan,
This isn't your typical Sunbeam assembly job so it will not be at the United. Not even sure it will be ready for Columbia in March. There's a lot more to this car than a regular Alpine. Thank gosh I have a couple other Harringtons for reference for how things were put together. Jean and I sometimes fit parts two or three times to get them how we want them. The wood door for the rear floor over the spare tire took time to make it fit. The one that came with the car didn't fit so good and was really bad so I spent a week cutting and trimming a new unit. Then I had to paint it. The car is scheduled to go back to the upholstery shop for the head liner installation and some other work sometime in October. He'll cover the wheel wells, etc. I can't install the windows, windshield, drip rails, etc until the interior work is done. I've considered electric windows. My new lift was shipped from Oklahoma Thursday so I'm going to set it up before the United so there may not be much more done until the car gets back from the upholstery shop. I can work on the car in comfort any time since my shop has heat /AC. This is what the interior looks like now. The seat, carpet and panels are installed on a temporary basis.

Attachments

• PTDC0209.jpg
    PTDC0209.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Interesting hinges on the rear seat back... Can you get a close up?

DanR

cdk84

Donation Time
Le Mans

Hi Bob,

Your Le Mans is coming together beautifully! The color scheme is really handsome.

Please keep posting pictures as you progress. They are great to see, but also can provide a guide for those in the future who want to do a Harrington nicely.

Can't make it to the United. Hope you and Jean have a really good time.

Best,

David

65beam

Donation Time
Rhd

We have a great turnout and the only problem is it's HOT! The drive thru the mountains was fun.

65beam

Donation Time
Rhd

We decided to do some reaching of the rear springs. I installed new brake lines and will install the fuel tank this week.

Attachments

• PTDC0301.jpg
    PTDC0301.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 68

65beam

Donation Time
Rhd

Fuel tank install is on hold for a few weeks. I sent the sending unit off to Nissonger for a rebuid.

65beam

Donation Time
Rhd

The fuel tank sending unit that Nisonger rebuilt showed up today. One more piece of the puzzle. All I have still out is the Harrington egg crate grill that came with the car. I dropped it off at LiBrandi's in Harrisburg, Pa a couple weeks ago to be cut down to fit farther back in the grill opening and to be polished. Lead time for that work is 12 to 14 weeks.

Attachments

• PTDC0006.jpg
    PTDC0006.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
Rhd

I put a few carpet sections down to get an idea of what things will look like once installed.

Attachments

• PTDC0005.jpg
    PTDC0005.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 29

65beam

Donation Time
Another piece of the puzzle showed up on the front porch.101_0039.JPG Li Brandi's shipped back the finished Harrington egg crate grill. They cut it down to move it farther back in the grill opening and then polished it. It's a little hard to see with the car being white.