• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

RHD LeMans

65beam

Donation Time
Rhd

Listen carefully! THIS CAR BELONGS TO MY WIFE. It's being built the way she wants it. I'm just the care taker of her cars

65beam

Donation Time
Rhd

The shop put the car on one of their two post lifts and dropped the front cross member and rear axle on Monday. They painted the underneath side of the car along with the engine compartment. Doug @ Tiger Auto rebuilt a series 5 front cross member and the shop will install it. I have the refurbished rear axle here at the house. It will be installed after the rebuilding of the rear springs.

Attachments

• PTDC0040.jpg
    PTDC0040.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 66
  • PTDC0042.jpg
    PTDC0042.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 60
  • PTDC0045.jpg
    PTDC0045.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 62
  • PTDC0051.jpg
    PTDC0051.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 61

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Probably just me, but if your camera could be backed up a bit for a more comprehensive photo, would be nice to visualize what's not available anywhere else. That I know of.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just wondering....

Bob, Is that going to be a "white" car?

Just kidding of course;)

Nice looking finish. Wish I had an over head lift like that.

DanR

P.S. Might have to show these PIC's to the wife (several times) in order for her to get the message. Huh?

65beam

Donation Time
LeMans

Dan,
It's the same color as the 69GT and the interior is the same red that we used in the 69GT. The car will have the same wheels as the 69 and the series 4. The lift is at the body shop. This particular lift is a 12000 lb unit. I would like to have a four post lift.

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
Rhd

Probably just me, but if your camera could be backed up a bit for a more comprehensive photo, would be nice to visualize what's not available anywhere else. That I know of.

John,
There's nothing under the car but painted metal. This section of the car was painted on Monday and I took these photos on Tuesday. Kinda like taking a photo of a white sheet hanging on a wall. Not much to look at other than a battery box and a rust free underneath side of a white car.

65beam

Donation Time
Rhd

The body work is done and the body was ready for it's first coat of paint when I took this photo @ 5:00 EST.

Attachments

• 109_0931.jpg
    109_0931.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 34

65beam

Donation Time
Rhd

The car now has paint. The color is the same as my 69GT.

Attachments

• 109_0934.jpg
    109_0934.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 109_0937.jpg
    109_0937.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 109_0939.jpg
    109_0939.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 31

65beam

Donation Time
Rhd

Dan,
The color is Ford Wimbledon White. It's the same color as the 69 GT. It has quite a shine right now but it will look different after buffing. Mike did an excellent job of painting it.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yep, The real work is ahead!

Bob, When I first took a look I thought that it was "missing" something up front, then realized the windshield frame was not yet there:D

Sure looks odd to see the top run out forward without support.

A little time and labor will sure cure that part.

Next step is determining just where you begin.

Lizard skin and Dynamat before the wires and fuel/brake lines ?

Have fun, but share the experience with all,

DanR

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
Rhd

Bob, When I first took a look I thought that it was "missing" something up front, then realized the windshield frame was not yet there:D

Sure looks odd to see the top run out forward ans no support.

A little time and labor will sure cure that part.

Next step is determining just where you begin.

Lizard skin and Dynamat before the wires and fuel/brake lines ?

Have fun, but share the experience with all,

DanR
Dan,
The top has a wood frame built into it. I've already started on assembly. Remember that this isn't my first time to assemble a Sunbeam that showed up in my shop in this state of repair. Since the new front cross member is already installed I've started at the front.There will be nothing except carpet and padding covering the floors. The paint on the floors, etc looks just like the outside of the body. The wiring is a new loom from the U.K. so that will be simple and the instrument panel is ready to accept it's wiring. Everything for this car is ready to bolt on. Unless something drastic happens you can see it when you come to the United in September.

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
Rhd

It now has SUNBEAM letters on the front and rear panels and also has it's LeMans scripts. I installed Lucas sealed beam head lights. I may install Lucas parking light bulbs but how long would they work.

Attachments

• PTDC0119.jpg
    PTDC0119.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 41
  • PTDC0121.jpg
    PTDC0121.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 42

65beam

Donation Time
It now has a rebuilt cross member and other items installed.

Attachments

• PTDC0157.jpg
    PTDC0157.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 50
  • PTDC0152.jpg
    PTDC0152.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 49
  • PTDC0149.jpg
    PTDC0149.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 57

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
That's an eye catcher!

Neat arrangement on the gas linkage RHD utilizing the LHD firewall brackets!

Never noticed that before.

65beam

Donation Time
Rhd

Dan,
The linkage that goes thru the firewall still goes thru the same hole whether it's RHD or LHD. Did you notice the bend of the pedals and the dimmer switch on the trans tunnel?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yep! I saw that too!

While working today on the Sam's Car "TheGreen1" I took a closer look at where the RHD dimmer switch bracket would go...

DanR

P.S. Planning to attend the United in VA Sept....:D