• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

RHD LeMans

65beam

Donation Time
Work continues on the right hand drive Le Mans. The blocking of the body is close to being done and the fiber glass top has a new gel coat applied. this body was almost rust free except for a few pin holes that showed up in the front floor on the right hand side after the metal part of the body was dipped. this was one of Ian Spencer's cars. Note that this is a late production car since it does not have the roof vents behind the side windows and it also has steel wheels instead of wires. I have been told that this may be the only RHD version in the states.

Attachments

• 109_0546.JPG
    109_0546.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 109_0547.JPG
    109_0547.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 97

65beam

Donation Time
gel coat

They used a sprayable gel that they buy from one of the corvette restoration houses.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bernd good to know you are moving forward on the HLM project. Of course I'm certain you are enjoying the Tiger.

Found this on ebay (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MWN7kbzutM ) but it is a brush on technique which can result in brush marks. There is a follow up video for sanding.

The spray on technique takes special spraying equipment and can give you grief because of the short work time (10-12 minutes) as the gelcoat is setting up after the catalyst is added. You might want to check out a local boat shop to assist in this spray on process of the HLM's fiberglass restoration.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yep, thanks for the hints guys. A lot of good fibre glass repair Videos on YouTube. Just back from our German National and feeling motivated to resume work on the HLM again .
P.S. we went there not with the Tiger but with our good old SV which didn't miss a beat on the 2000km Trip.
P.P.S. Have a look onto our Homepage...

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
I picked up the seats today. Should have the back seat and other panels in a few weeks. Deer season opens this week so the shop owner has priorities.

Attachments

• 109_0674.jpg
    109_0674.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 56

65beam

Donation Time
LeMans

Jan,
That's the company whose product they're using . It's blended in what I guess you could call two formulas now. They have one for use on the early vette bodies and this is what they recommended for the LeMans since they say there is a difference in the fiber glass being used now. This shop repairs a lot of heavy trucks as their main business so they're used to working with fiber glass and aluminum and have all the equipment needed.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Very useful Update on the gelcoat Material and nicely refurbished seats. Still looking for a good upholsterer over here...

65beam

Donation Time
LeMans

Very useful Update on the gelcoat Material and nicely refurbished seats. Still looking for a good upholsterer over here...

The owner of the shop does good work. He also made the interior of my fast back .

Attachments

• 100_0255.jpg
    100_0255.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 62

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
One tip on the gel coat is to remove all the paint (they say it will not stick to paint) and get all the filling and course/medium block sanding done first, then apply. The Eckler's product is pretty hard to sand. If you do sand through it, it needs another application.
Jan

65beam

Donation Time
LeMans

Jan,
When this car left Ian's and was shipped to California all of the paint on the top was gone and it looks like somebody used 40 grit to remove it. someone had applied some body filler to the top and it had to be removed. It had some type of epoxy primer on the metal part of the body. The epoxy turned out to be really bad stuff and was a bear to remove. The car was as shipped when I picked it up in Reno. The guys at the shop doing the work are pros at glass and aluminum work and have all the equipment to do the job. They have said just what you mentioned in your post. It looks like the body will be back to us in the next few weeks.

Attachments

• 100_0623.jpg
    100_0623.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 66

65beam

Donation Time
lemans

Picked up the door panels and rear panels today. The door panels don't have the arm rests installed yet.

Attachments

• 109_0700.jpg
    109_0700.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 38

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Why is the gel coat important? I know of one web site where (pretty savvy guys) that say it is only needed to facilitate construction in a mold.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Like its a finish. The gel,coat is polished to high quality after coming out of the mold.
I understand. Back in the day, most kit cars came with a gel coat finish. Been there, done that. The kit car that I had was gel coated, but I did some modifications, using fibre glass and filler. The entire car was primered and painted. There was no visual difference in the finished product.

If the car is going to be painted, what does gel coat do that filler and primer cannot do?

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
LeMans

Bill,
The shop in Dayton that started on the car had tried to use body filler to cover the fiber glass after using what looked like 40 grit paper to sand the top. The filler was chipping off and the top appeared to have no gel coat left. These guys work on fiber glass on a daily basis so they decided to start over to get a nice finish. Ronnie said he will spray the gel, block it and apply a high fill primer and then block from there.This is the same shop that restored the body of our 69 GT so I'm confident of what they can do. We'll see what it looks in a few weeks.

65beam

Donation Time
Rhd

More pieces of the puzzle are now on the shelf. The new wiring harness I bought thru Sunbeam Specialties is here. Made in the U.K.

Attachments

• 109_0743.jpg
    109_0743.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 39