• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Reykjavík Iceland Price Sheet - 1967 Series V

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
A while back I promised to post a photo of the price sheet that came with my Sunbeam, which had been purchased new by the previous owner, an Air Force officer, when he was stationed in Iceland. He bought it through the 'base sales agent', and I purchased it from his widow about 37 years ago.

There can't be many copies of this piece of ephemera around!

SCAN0056-B.jpg

(The blue watermark is not on the original, of course.)

venice532

Donation Time
Funny, with the Rapier you could either buy one air conditioner or three overdrives and a clock.
Bob

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I’ve always been confused as to the difference between a “push button screen washer” and a “manual” one. I can only assume that the “push button” washer is an electric one, but I’ve never seen an electric one installed as original on an Alpine. But then I’ve also never seen a “locking fuel cap” or the “trunk rubber mat” on a Series V either.

And one wonders what the optional “control panel” controls!

Also missing from this list are a host of other options such as badge bar, fog/driving lamps, bonnet flash or badge and windscreen interior lamp. Perhaps this is due to the fact that the folks in Reykjavík couldn’t install them.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I will say, for the price of the hardtop one is left wondering why they didn’t ALL come with one! (Mine did)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Puff for posting! Considering the year and the Dollar, $145.00 was a lot of money!

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
True, Dan.

I did look up the current prices, based on the rate of inflation, and here are some samples in today's money:

Alpine....................... $15,228.73
Harrington LM........ $23,792.49
Hardtop...................... $1,114.64
Overdrive...................... $784.11
Cigarette Lighter............ $69.96
Tonneau Cover............. $215.25

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
The chart below reflects how mine was delivered, as new, in 1967, from the Base Agent in Iceland, with the original pricing and the inflation adjusted values today.

Seems like a bargain in today's dollars. I'd buy three at the 2019 prices (as adjusted for inflation). By comparison, $19K is about what a new, nicely optioned Miata cost in 1997.

Alpine-Pricing.jpg

Last edited:

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Oh, and you'll note it says "Backup Light", not "lights". My car was supplied as new with a Lucas L494 backup light (with proper wiring to a switch on the transmission). It was not supplied with the round backup lights that were offered by the factory at the time. Again, this is likely a uniquely Iceland-delivered accessory.

Lucas-L494.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Kevin, iirc your car is a series V, the sparto twin jet reversing lights were phased out at the end of SIV. The SV was the formalistaion of the 2 x rectangular wipacs. They also appear on late SIV.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Very informative data on the then and now!

Only item with a price that "sticks" out to me as out of proportion is the"Lighter".....$9 vs $69

As you mentioned, Yes I too would buy several at the current going price:)

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Kevin, iirc your car is a series V, the sparto twin jet reversing lights were phased out at the end of SIV. The SV was the formalistaion of the 2 x rectangular wipacs. They also appear on late SIV.

Yes, it is an SV, so yeah, it probably should have come with the Wipacs. In any event, they used a single L494, for some reason.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Very informative data on the then and now!

Only item with a price that "sticks" out to me as out of proportion is the"Lighter".....$9 vs $69

As you mentioned, Yes I too would buy several at the current going price:)
Thanks, Dan. Yeah, the lighter was expensive, but have you seen what they go for on fleaBay today? I've seen them sell for $300!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
My '65 SIV has the original lighter! Do you mean I have an Alpine worth $300 more than I thought?:)

Man -a-live with the original Radio and the Lighter I need to reassess my insurance:)

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, that lighter was used in our Alpines and Tigers as well as the Jaguar XKE, so the latter two are driving the price up to ‘silly money’ levels. Same thing is true of the later overdrive relays - they were used in our Alpines and a Ferrari model, so when the do (rarely) come up for sale they are obscenely expensive.

65beam

Donation Time
A while back I promised to post a photo of the price sheet that came with my Sunbeam, which had been purchased new by the previous owner, an Air Force officer, when he was stationed in Iceland. He bought it through the 'base sales agent', and I purchased it from his widow about 37 years ago.

There can't be many copies of this piece of ephemera around!
This price sheet seems to be from at least more than two years prior to the start of series 5 production in August, 1965 due to the cost of a LeMans being listed. Production of the LeMans ended in February,1963. That alone would increase the cost comparison based on that time difference. So a lighter would have an even higher cost.
SCAN0056-B.jpg

(The blue watermark is not on the original, of course.)

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
I’ve always been confused as to the difference between a “push button screen washer” and a “manual” one. I can only assume that the “push button” washer is an electric one, but I’ve never seen an electric one installed as original on an Alpine. But then I’ve also never seen a “locking fuel cap” or the “trunk rubber mat” on a Series V either.

And one wonders what the optional “control panel” controls!

Also missing from this list are a host of other options such as badge bar, fog/driving lamps, bonnet flash or badge and windscreen interior lamp. Perhaps this is due to the fact that the folks in Reykjavík couldn’t install them.
I have seen the electric washer on an alpine many years ago it looked like a push button starter switch from a jag of some model to a electric pump of unknown make. The accessory instrument panel was an after market Lucas or smiths part they came in one for switches and either 1,2, or 3 small instruments 2 inch I think I have an old VB Hann brochure that shows them