• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Restoration Advice Needed

V

vlangan

Greetings...I just purchased a Sunbeam Alpine II and would like to do a complete restoration. Can someone tell me if it is possible to take the body off the frame? ( I want to get any and all rust off the frame). Can some give me advice on where I can go and get restoration information? (Books, etc.)Are there any car owners in Northern, Virginia?
Cheers,
Vince

D

Dr.NO 007

Alpine Body Pictures

Hi Vince
welcome to the SAOCA club and forum. I have posted this album before, it shows a multitude of photo's of the Alpine body thru restoration and I think it is a wealth of information for newcomers to Alpine rebuilding like you and me. the cruciform X cross bracing under the floor is the main structural strength and is integral to the body panels. (uni-body) there is no frame.
Have a look at these pictures on this web site
here is the website address for you to review

http://rides.webshots.com/album/5602...btHVd?start=24

PS (vlangan), maybe this should have been posted in the "Stock Alpine" section, unless you are selling your car :)

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Welcome Vince
There is a lot of information available here at this site by using the search feature. First off, there is no frame on an Alpine as it is a unibody chassis but that would not keep you from doing a restoration of the underside of your car. Is there much rust on the body? Do you have the skills, time, and money to do a restoration yourself or will you be paying someone else to do it for you? Can you tell us what the general condition of your car is and post a few photos? Where did your car come from-eBay or local purchase?
We are waiting for Scott and Ian to write the definitive restoration guide for the Alpine-other than that, there is little reference material to read except a few magazine articles. Classic Motorsports Magazine will be soon printing articles about the restoration of their Sunbeam Tiger so some of that will be helpful. Maybe some members from the Virginia area can chime in and offer local help....? Try to make it to local Sunbeam gatherings and to the Invasion to see cars and get ideas! Eric

D

Dr.NO 007

Alpine Body -sheet metal

Hi Vince (again)
for some reason the http:// address below is not opening were it should on the pictures of the Alpine body restoration.

You can search back in our forum archive to get the original posting. look under " sheet metal -valance pictures " it was posted on about,
Feb. 12, 2008 . I went back to check it out and the album of photo's are still accessable on that forum posting. (hope this helps somewhat).
cheers
Chuck
add/edit: it is in the "Stock Alpine" forum page 6 of 58 (SII Front Valance Pictures)

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
The main parts dealers in the US are Classic Sunbeam and Sunbeam Specialities. I would get a workshop manual and a parts book.

If you are stripping the car to do a full restoration you could have the body chemically dipped at a metal cleaning facility to remove old paint and rust.

Do you have photographs of the car?

The annual Sunbeam Invasion is a good place to look at some finished cars plus there may be some cars there prat way through restoration. It is also a great place to ask questiosn and get tips.

On the internet this is the best place for information. Good Luck.

Jaars

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Vince,
Welcome to he Sunbeam (Rootes) group. If you do the restoration yourself, then the nicest thing to have is a rotissery. I had one and it might still be available. Presently it is in NYC. If you want to know more send me an email jaars at emailmv dot com.
Nexxt tke lots of detailed digital pictures. one always thinks to remember, but time slips by and one forgot. It takes twice as long to put it together without these is my experience. Get lots of plastic ziplock baggies of different sizes, some shoeboxes and larger cartons. Label everything also well.
Next Tiger East/Alpine East www.teae.org will have their United meet in Potomac,MD October 9-12. Usually 50-75 cars there. This must be pretty close to you.
Robert

V

vlangan

Robert: I would be very interested in the Rotissarie....Let me know how I can get in touch...I understand the value and would be willing to make a trip to NY...
Cheers,

Vincent Langan

bbonner

Donation Time
Okay I am stumped what is a rotissery i think of something that cooks chicken. I know dump woman. Bev

mikephillips

Donation Time
Actually Bev, it's very similiar to one you'd use to cook with, just on a much larger scale. It bolts to the body, usually to the front and rear bumper mounts, and allows it to be rotated 360 degrees so you never have to work at an odd angle or underneath it.