• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Replace Late Hardtop 1/4 Lite Glass

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Has anyone taken on the task of replacing the glass in the 1/4 lite hardtop windows? Or is the best answer to take them to an auto glass shop to have the work done? Thanks for any guidance on this project.

Rick

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
I had some made out of lexan And have extras if you would like I will sell them for $20 a side plus shipping. Call me on Monday 78l 829 o550 Easy to DIY
8-5 EDT.
Jeff

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
I found it quite easy to do, I 'm not sure but I think you don't need to remove the rivets as there are screws that can be accessed to do the job.

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
There are screws on the inside of the frame but they would not be accessible once the glass is in place in the frame. The only way I see to take the frame apart is to drill the rivets.
Rick

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
There are screws on the inside of the frame but they would not be accessible once the glass is in place in the frame. The only way I see to take the frame apart is to drill the rivets.
Rick

Rick, Here are 3 pictures of the quarter window. The one with the hinge showing is where I would that the rivets from. There will be 2 rivets on each side of the hinge.

Attachments

• Hard top Quarter window     20190702_194421.jpg
    Hard top Quarter window 20190702_194421.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Hard top Quarter window     20190702_194334.jpg
    Hard top Quarter window 20190702_194334.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Hard top Quarter window     20190702_194254.jpg
    Hard top Quarter window 20190702_194254.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 32

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Not much fun of a job especially with new glazing. I put in tempered glass windows that were a tad wider. Mashing the new glazing and getting the grip length of the rivet to grab the little L bracket is challenging.

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Warren. What did you use to replace the OEM rubber seal? Some have said I should just use a silicone sealer in the glass channels. Do you remember the size of the rivets you used?

FYI I went to 2 auto glass shops to see how much they would charge to put in the glass if I supplied the glass, the seal and the rivets. One gave me a price of $70 per window. The other said he charges $150 for the first hour, $75 / hr for each additional hour and estimated the job would take 4-5 hours. I have bought whole cars for less than that!

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Glass shops never thrilled me. I sent my MGTD screen to one... he sat on it for 2 months until out of frustration I retrieved it and sent it to another shop where they completely bent up the top rail whilst removing the glass, cracking off the chrome entirely... I had to source a whole used screen assy from California for about $900 (which they had to eat). In the end they still screwed up installing the wiper motor wires in the frame. Grrr. Next time I’m doing it myself.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Rick, You can do it! Order the seal materiel from SS or CS. I believe the rivets are 1/8. Can check one of mine for you. In the mean time the Parts Catalog will be a good place to verify what rivets.?

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
The SS catalog I have doesn't list the HT53 rubber glazing.
What you get is one strip that you have to cut in half for both windows, not any to spare either. My glass is a tad thicker so it compounded the fitment and compressing the glazing under the small L brackets that the 1/8 rivet with 3/16 or 1/4 grip length. Maybe smashing the glazing last inch woul be better than brute force and a slightly longer grip length to pull the pieces together and compress the glazing.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Adding a post and not editing as I want to get everyone who may have done this job before. The 3 side screws that go thru and hold on the qtr. windows? How the heck do you mash the window frame in enough to compress the new rubbers and locate the screw and hole. Mini C clamps with wooden paint stick shims?