• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Removing Scratches from Chrome

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello all...

I wanted to see if anyone might have suggestions for removing light scratches from a chrome bumper.

I did a....well you might say 'stupid' but I will flatter myself by calling it an 'uninformed' thing.

I did some touchup painting on my Series V, which left me with a light overspray on my rear bumper.
I thought that using a green Scotch Brite pad would be a good method of removing said overspray.
I had NO IDEA that the pad was abrasive enough to scratch the chrome but it was. Live and learn.

To this point, I have tried buffing pads, chrome polish, and rubbing compoud to no avail.

Have any of you had success with removing light scratches from chrome and if so, could you please share the product/method that you used?

Thanks,

To

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I know it doesn’t help much now, but the chrome polish probably would have cleaned up the overspray. You could google removing fine scratches from chrome for suggestions.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
I know it doesn’t help much now, but the chrome polish probably would have cleaned up the overspray. You could google removing fine scratches from chrome for suggestions.
Yeah...that hindsight thing...Lol
I've been living on Google but haven't really found much that I haven't done. I've got a show on Saturday and hope I can get some voices of experience on here (fixing it...not messing it up) instead of having to go with trial and error.

On a related note, the Chemical Brothers clay bar removes overspray from paint about as easily as just washing the car.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Use a bronze wool pad to clean up chrome...it will NOT scratch the chrome! McMaster-Carr has it.
Jan

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Above are correct - Bronze wool is the way to go with cleaning chrome. If you need a little extra cleaning capability add a little light machine oil (helps the wool cut through the crud) or even a dab of 3M rubbing compound for the difficult spots.

However, on how to solve your current problem, I would use some *very* fine sandpaper (2000 or finer) to lightly smooth the damage you've done, then I'd follow that with a buffing wheel with Simichrome polish (or similar ultra-fine polishing compound).

alpine_64

Donation Time
Depending how bad the scratching is id try a jewlers rouge or something lighter like autosol first with a buffing wheel.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Above are correct - Bronze wool is the way to go with cleaning chrome. If you need a little extra cleaning capability add a little light machine oil (helps the wool cut through the crud) or even a dab of 3M rubbing compound for the difficult spots.

However, on how to solve your current problem, I would use some *very* fine sandpaper (2000 or finer) to lightly smooth the damage you've done, then I'd follow that with a buffing wheel with Simichrome polish (or similar ultra-fine polishing compound).
This sandpaper scares me but may be necessary, as I’ve used the Simichrome to no avail. The sad thing is, the bumper was pretty much perfect. I was just trying to get rid of the overspray...

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Depending how bad the scratching is id try a jewlers rouge or something lighter like autosol first with a buffing wheel.
I’m picking up jeweler’s rouge this morning. I’m going to give it a shot first and if it yields no results, go with Kevin’s recommendation on the ultra fine sandpaper.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Remeber jewlers rouge comes in various grades.. And can remove the top layer... Be careful you dont rub through.. Watch for the metal turning goldish

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Oh, an
If it's overspray, just use some paint remover?
Jan
Jan, if I'm reading correctly, the problem isn't really the overspray at this point... it's the scratches in the chrome due to trying to remove the overspray, and how best to remove them.

As for the rouge, white wold likely be the best stuff for chrome, but as noted, with both the sanding and the polishing, GO LIGHTLY.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
If it's overspray, just use some paint remover?
Jan
I'm 'after the fact' as far as the overspray.
My dilemma at this point is the scratches that were created when I was removing the overspray.
Admittedly, my overspay removal method was not a good one, as I mentioned in my original post.
This w
Normally when I am polishing my chrome, I use Blue Magic Metal Polish and it does an excellent job.