• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Red line of a modified V6

mikel

Donation Time
Hey,
What would be the redline of a stock 2.8 and a modified 2.8.
Sunbeam at speed 001.jpg

Sunbeam at speed 002.jpg
What would be possible top speed.
Thanks,
Mikel

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Based on the gauges shown on your pics, with your gearing, you will run out of HP before getting anywhere near your redline.

The 2.8 can be made to breath and make HP at 7000 RPM.
Without a cam and induction flow support (higher flow manifold+carb or EFI), revving a 2.8 beyond 5000 RPM is a waste of time.

mikel

Donation Time
RootesRacer,

I have a Delta D-9 with Port and Polished heads, 2.9 valves.
3.8 T-5, I think 5th is .73 with a 3.55 rear.

mikel

RootesRacer

Donation Time
RootesRacer,

I have a Delta D-9 with Port and Polished heads, 2.9 valves.
3.8 T-5, I think 5th is .73 with a 3.55 rear.

mikel

Yeah thats a pretty tall gear ratio.

I'm, sure Jose has opinions and will chime in, but with a .73 final, I would use a 4.11 rear end as a decent compromise between economy and acceleration potential. For better acceleration yet, and keeping the engine on the cam in 5th, a 4.56 would not be out in left field.

Even with a 4.11 you will still be speed limited in 5th, and probably have higher top speed in 4th or maybe even 3rd due to having more HP in the higher RPMs.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mikel,

Jared is correct about using a 4.11 gear ratio, if you want to get any power out of your V6 on top. The 4.11 ratio is the best, because the Ford 8" (as I understand it), won't take any lower gear sets. The little V6 needs to be kept on the boil, in order to get the most power out of it.

The factory set the rev limit on the stock engine, at 6,000. With the stock cam and without all the other induction up grades, there is no point to go higher. A modifird V6 will rev to 7,000 and beyond, but it will begin to eat water pumps and alternators, because they weren't designed to do that. For me, it was worth changing water pumps once every year, because I just loved to rev mine.

Jose

V_Mad

Donation Time
Your pic shows you must be in 5th? Why not keep in 4th and let your engine have the revs it needs?

If you want max top speed, and want an overdrive gear for good (relaxed, lower revs etc) motorway cruising then set the rear axle ratio for max speed in 4th as this is the direct drive gear, and is therefore the most efficient (lowest power loss). I would guess an engine pushing 160-170 BHP in an Alpine should give 120 mph with the right gearing, so set the rear axle ratio accordingly.

I would love to have a 3.55 rear axle (mines a 3.89)!

mikel

Donation Time
Chris,
You are correct the photo was taken in fifth gear.
I have taken the car up to 118-120, but that's my limit.
Chris are you happy with the rear ratio you are running.
Which transmission did you install and what gears?

And Officer Fife...I only did it once, I swear!
The nightmares of a little bunny on the road and me airborne were too much.

I was wondering what was a good combination of transmissions and rearend ratios. I had an offline conversation with a fellow club member and he asked.
Also the question of redline for a prepared V6 came up and I wouldn't want to mislead anyone.
Hey, Jim what rpm experience do you have with your Vader car?
I know your engine is built up more that most could imagine.
Don't you have a 4.11?

mikel, juvenile offender at 54.
old enough to know better, prone to do it again....maybe

V_Mad

Donation Time
Hi Mikel
I am running an Alpine 3.89 axle with a Ford Type9 transmission. Engine is stock Granada carburetor (133 BHP at about 5200 rpm)For me it seems too low geared. I want something around 3.45 so that 4th gear gets me to about 120 at about 5500 rpm although it may not quite make 120. Then I can use 5th as an overdrive for relaxed cruising. I know I may lose a bit on drag racing times, but thats OK for me. My Tiger has a 2.88 axle but has a close ratio Toploader, and I love that long first gear!

My Type 9 tranny ratios are:
1st 3.36
2nd 1.81
3rd 1.26
4th 1
5th 0.83

mikel

Donation Time
Chris,

Thanks for the reply.
There is a neat spreadsheet calculator at TigersUnited.com
titled Hokanson Gear Speed XL in tech tips
I downloaded it and was able to play with RPMs, Gear Ratios and Transmission choices and think I found my answers.
Was even able to compare to your close ratio Tiger as it is shown as an example.

I understand the desire to quickly go fast with a 4.11.
With the spreadsheet it seems like a lot of shifting if you check the speeds for each gear. A matter of choice.

I found the spreadsheet to be right on as I top out 4th at 105mph at 5500 or so RPMs. My T-5 has an id tag of 238. Check out mikeH's post on T-5 info.

mikel

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mikel, looks like some think you should be in the market to swap out pumpkins in order to optimize the performance of your V6. Seems to me you are in the place I am with my turbo 2.0 running a 3.55 rear.

Everything is cool, 4th is a fine medium speed "back country" top gear and 5th is a high speed cruiser. Wonder of wonders, a manual overdrive! Not much of a race setup, but more than okay for a car used as a driver.

Bill

mikel

Donation Time
Bill,

Those are the thoughts I am gathering as well.
Fast enought off the line and happy with the top end.
Living in the country I can run at speed for a distance and not even come up behind anyone.

On the fringe of "Jurist Prudence Jurisdiction". Anybody seen this sign on the highway?

mikel