• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear main or oil pan leak

glassman

Bronze Level Sponsor
I tilted engine down to remove transmission and after fifteen minutes or so oil started to slowly drip. Best guess rear main seal or back of oil pan? Car hasn't run for 12 years. Thanks for any thoughts. Glassman

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
It’s a scroll seal, so if the engine is tilted it will always leak. There’s nothing necessarily wrong. “Slowly drip” is actually pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_4636.jpeg
    IMG_4636.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 18

pruyter

Donation Time
A scroll seal at the backside of the engine???? I thought that the scroll seal is at the front of the engine and by the way I have numerous times removed the gearbox from the engine without the engine leaking oil while that engine was tilted to the back.

glassman

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks for the info. It had a buildup of oil around inside of Bell Housing. I was hoping it's the oil pan at back. I'm trying to get it on the road again. I'm going to just fix what I can and see where I'm at. Would like to drive it a while before major rebuild. Thanks everyone. Glassman