• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear Leaf Springs

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Stan,

I think your Tiger has an extra leaf. I had a quick look in the WSM and I counted six. It may have been added to stop the rear end sagging or to try and reduce axle tramp.

Regards, Robin.

V_Mad

Donation Time
Did the extra leaf solve the problem of sagging? I was thinking of getting a spare pair of springs to add a leaf to mine.

saltykracker

Donation Time
Don't know about the sagging, I have not used the car since 1983 but owned it since 1974 and don't remember any sag, but I do remember some wheel hop. Been going over every nut and bolt, and hope to back on the road in a reasonable amount of time.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Stan,

Maybe that's why you have not had any sagging. I had a look at my Tiger and it only has the six. I know if I take my tyres over their adhesion threshold I get a bit of axle tramp. Have you compared the ride with another Tiger (ie. firmer or twitchy).

Regards, Robin.

saltykracker

Donation Time
Hi Guys, thanks for the replies. I took a better look at the leaf springs today, and now thinking back to 1973 the guy I bought it from,(for a grand), had lake pipes on her, probably scraped the ground all around Flushing, N.Y.. I can't help much regarding the ride, never rode in another Tiger but I always felt the car was on rails. The additional leaf is the second longest one right after the one that carries the bushings and it about a third thicker than the others. Just passing info as I come across it. Stan

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Stan wrote:

"the guy I bought it from, (for a grand), had lake pipes on her..."

Ha! Stealth/drive-by gloat! I'm guessing that's the best $1k you ever spent.

Ken

saltykracker

Donation Time
Ken, yes 1973 dollars well spent, used as my college car, moved to Fl. and towed a 13' Boston Whaler with the Tiger. In 73 it was only another used car.

My new questions.
I want to take the springs apart, clean them & paint. Is the metal banding which holds the springs together something that can be purchased? The rubber under the banding is breaking down, is it necessary? If these bands are not available, has anyone used something different, maybe one of those heavy duty zip-ties they use in the a/c business? Or should I just leave well enough alone? I checked locally and there aren't any spring shops nearby, and a google didn't turn much up. Thanks, Stan

65beam

Donation Time
rear springs

the original style of rubber is available from sunbeam specialties . phone number is 408 371 1642 . if your springs have the original type bands with the bolt thru it,just remove the bolt and take pliers and spread the band until it slides off .put a large c clamp on the spring and remove the nut on the center pin and loosen the clamp slowly to keep the springs from flying apart . pay close attention to the buttons between the spring leaves and save them to reinstall if still in good shape .

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Before you assemble the springs, it is a good idea to liberally smear the mating leaf surfaces with heavy graphite grease.

saltykracker

Donation Time
Thanks again folks just got off the phone with Richard @ SS and took care of all the rubbers needed putting the rear end back together. It is funny how there is never an one item order, but we are fortunate these guys are here.

Another question.
I have a couple extra leaf spring sets from alpines. They have the bolt type spring bands my Tiger has a crimped set, sort of like a banding machine would wrap bundles. The Tiger has a couple extra leafs and I was thinking of re-sizing the Apline bands and using a longer bolt to make up the difference. I don't foresee any critical forces on these bands so in my world rebending them to fit a taller stack of springs should be ok. Thoughts??

Has anyone heard of graphite paint?
Thanks, Stan

saltykracker

Donation Time
My buttons between the springs are shot, especially on the front side of the axle. Any ideas, will do graphite grease if I can't replace, BTW I am watching the ones on the bay, but I want it now! Thanks Stan