• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear Leaf Spring Clamps

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Does anyone know of a source for the clamps that hold the spring sections together? ...the ones with the rubber inserts...I’m restoring the leaf springs on my SI V6 project and it would be easier/cheaper to just replace the clamps rather than having them re-plated or powder coated. I can only find the replacement rubber and not the clamps themselves in the usual parts catalogues.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Bill, have you upgraded the spring hangers to s2 or later? If not might be worth doimg as rootes upgraded the rear leafs to wider spec after SI. With a v6 a little stronger lateral resistance is a good idea. Especially if you still run the lever arm dampers or will you convert to telescopic?

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes....I’m upgrading the suspension to SV both front and rear to an SV....including rear axle and shocks.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Bill (and Michael) just wanted to make sure you were aware of how Tom Hall dealt with the weak rear leaf forward spring mount. I did a version of this to the car I'm starting to drive harder and I was amazed at how wimpy the stock connection is.
This can be done with a completed/painted car if you mind the heat.
http://www.tigerengineering.net/TECHTIPS/Spring Mount Reinforcement.pdf
Bob

Bob,

That is a very interesting article that I don't remember seeing before. The current price for the "forward rear spring mount reinforcement kit" appears to be $150 which is a bargain.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
First I've seen of this Article also.... May pay to look at your Alpine as well?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
First I've seen of this Article also.... May pay to look at your Alpine as well?

I have looked at my S-V and there is no apparent damage. Not surprising with only 92.5 net HP and 103 ft.-lbs. of torque, but it was probably originally designed for a lot less and I intend to have considerably more. A little proactive reinforcement seems like a good idea.

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
We’re getting a little off topic (I’m still looking for a source for the steel band clamps! ) but here’s a picture of the spring hanger on my SI. The rear floor has been removed so it’s much easier to see the connection to the x-frame or lack thereof...it looks surprisingly fragile although with the floor in place not quite as bad as it looks...but, as said, for less than 100 hp it’s probably OK. We need to widen the hanger bracket to accommodate the late series springs that will go on the car...we already had plans to strengthen that connection prior to this thread pop up.859B0CCB-26AA-4162-A78E-1F6C8B9FAFD5.jpeg

venice532

Donation Time
Bill, I've only ever seen people reuse the clamps, I've never seen repos.

If some are too rusty to use call Smitty in San Diego 619 233 7937. Just let the phone ring.

If you do find new ones please post the source.

Bob