• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear Hubs: S-V vs S-IV

Sunbeam Canada

Donation Time
Is the S-V rear (bolt-on) hubs are compatible with a S-IV?

The idea is to use a set of (bolt-on) hubs off a S-V and replace it with that on the S-IV (knock-off) hubs.

Any other issues to consider?

mikephillips

Donation Time
The series I-IV hubs are different from the series V. The hole for the axle in the earlier ones is smaller while the outside diameter around the axle entry into the hub is larger. So they don't interchange.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Ohan,

The front hubs will be fine, its just the rears on the SV you have to watch for due to axel change. Also when doing the rear make sure you have the close tollerence bolts for the backing plates and get the correct thickness and number of gaskets for the hubs.

Sunbeam Canada

Donation Time
Is this an issue with the Tigers?

ex: would a S-V hub (either knock-off or bolt on) fit front and rear of a Tiger. In particular a 1966.

Sunbeam Canada

Donation Time
How about this scenario.

If I was to remove a S-V rear hub along with the axle shaft, would the whole unit fit that on a S-IV?

mikephillips

Donation Time
Nope, different bearing size at the hub end, won't fit in the axle casing. If all you have are series V rears then the only option would be to swap complete rear ends.

ramajon

Donation Time
anyone have pics

Hey gang, trying to change out splines to bolt-ons in a series lV...does anyone have pics of the series lV and/or the seriesV bolt-on axles...or can anyone provide enough info/ measurements that can help determine which series is which...please help I found someone w/ the axles we just can't figure out which series they are from...and of course I don't have any pics..thanks
ramajon

mikephillips

Donation Time
Series V axles have a bearing locating sleeve at the hub end where the earlier I believe didn't. That would be one way to tell them apart.