• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear glass screen installation

Limey

Donation Time
Hi all,

I need your experience and guidance please

Time to fit the rear screen but how is this done?

I have a 6/3.5mm seals which is identical to the original seal but 3mm is pretty tight on the roof aperture lip which with the headlining is up to 5mm thick and I can't see how you can string it

So which method?
1 - Seal in place in the aperture, then screen fitted into seal, then locking chrome infill fitted? (as they do on Mini's)

or
2 = fit the seal and locking infill to the glass then 'string the whole assembly into the aperture as they do on VW Beatles

I tried method 1 but the seal fell into the car when fitting the glass because without the locking infill the rubber rotates downwards under pressure and the glass falls in

Many thanks for all help and advice!

Oliver

65beam

Donation Time
I watched Mike at our local glass shop when he installed the hatch glass on the white car. He installed the rubber ,lubed it up, set the glass in place on the rubber and started at one corner using his glass stick and worked the rubber over the glass. Then he pushed in the chrome tube. He was done in less than ten minutes.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Oliver, I'm a bit confused with the method 1. I did a lot of Minis - when I was young;) - but always did it as described under #2. Otherwise the rope trick won't properly work. Haven't been there with my HLM but would asume #2 would be the proper approach - with lots of soap...

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I believe the cause of lots of the Sunbeam rust around the window frames can be contributed to the "lots of soapy water".... I try to use a petroluem base product when I am doing the windshield installation.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
There is a tool to install the chrome window welting that makes it super, super easy. Try to look for it, I don't know a vendor that sells them, I borrowed it. Use a spray liquid soap to lube the rubber.
Jan

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes, I think that's a version that I used, the welt passes through the eye of the loop, and as you can see there are different sizes for the weld used.
Jan

65beam

Donation Time
FYI, the cost for installation of the LeMans rear hatch window including the rubber and the chrome bead was $56.50. This was done 06/12/18. Well worth the cost.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I believe the cause of lots of the Sunbeam rust around the window frames can be contributed to the "lots of soapy water".... I try to use a petroluem base product when I am doing the windshield installation.
Goop waterless hand cleaner is a great rubber lube.
Bill

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
No particular process, I typically put the rubber seal around the glass and install in the window frame. And then persuade the seal's rubber lip around the inside of the frame using a plastic blade (that's blunt, not sharp). It helps having a helper to push the window in while working on the last corner.
Jan

Limey

Donation Time
I watched Mike at our local glass shop when he installed the hatch glass on the white car. He installed the rubber ,lubed it up, set the glass in place on the rubber and started at one corner using his glass stick and worked the rubber over the glass. Then he pushed in the chrome tube. He was done in less than ten minutes.

Thanks - In the end that's what I did but I used two double suction discs to stop the bottom left and right corners dropping in.