• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear end

robertf

Donation Time
early 90's corvette rears are very close in design. The brakes are outboard, which might be a good thing with the limited clearance under these cars. Its the same aluminum dana 44 center section. I've seen them replace live axles in camaros, and they show up at swap meets occasionally. No idea on price, but it would have to be cheaper than jaguar. You would needo to do something about the wheel bolt pattern.

skywords

Donation Time
early 90's corvette rears are very close in design. The brakes are outboard, which might be a good thing with the limited clearance under these cars. Its the same aluminum dana 44 center section. I've seen them replace live axles in camaros, and they show up at swap meets occasionally. No idea on price, but it would have to be cheaper than jaguar. You would needo to do something about the wheel bolt pattern.

These guys will fab any bolt pattern you desire and make any width you desire. In other words they will build it to fit. So they claim. Also a wide range of ratios.

skywords

Donation Time
I spoke with the owner today and he says he has done some for Tigers and not sure but maybe an Alpine or two. 5K is the price, sure would be sweet to have the rear end squared away like that. Handling would be much much improved. Weight is 300 lbs. Might even balance the CG of the car to better handling and help prevent under steer.

britbeam

Donation Time
How much is enough? For the guy that has more money than common sense maybe its not to much. I dont think the pay back in how well it would make the Alpine handle would be worth it for me.
Dwain V6 Krazy

skywords

Donation Time
How much is enough? For the guy that has more money than common sense maybe its not to much. I dont think the pay back in how well it would make the Alpine handle would be worth it for me.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Dwain
I don't follow you.
We will spend
Five hundred for paint not including application. (handling benefit zero)
Three thousand and up for body work and paint. (handling benefit zero)
Three hundred for carpet. (handling benefit zero)
Four hundred for seats and interior panels. (handling benefit zero)
Two thousand for chrome. (handling benefit zero)
One thousand for fancy wheels. (handling benefit zero)
Four hundred steering wheel restoration. (handling benefit zero)
etc...............

You see where I'm going? Whats wrong with spending some money on a better rear end? Besides my choice now is put the stock rear end in and probably blowing the pumpkin up or go and buy a Tiger rear end or modify a ford rear end, it all costs money and I still end up with that damn rear end hop. So for a little more I get a bullet proof rear end and sparkling handling of independent rear suspension. besides I'm just fishing.:)

britbeam

Donation Time
Dwain
I don't follow you.
We will spend
etc...............

You see where I'm going? Whats wrong with spending some money on a better rear end? Besides my choice now is put the stock rear end in and probably blowing the pumpkin up or go and buy a Tiger rear end or modify a ford rear end, it all costs money and I still end up with that damn rear end hop. So for a little more I get a bullet proof rear end and sparkling handling of independent rear suspension. besides I'm just fishing.:)

I get your point I guess Im just not in that $3000 paint job group. I belive restoration, mod and everything I have around $15000 in my Alpine. It to me does make more sense to spend the money on go power and also stopping(braking ability). I guess $5000 for a rearend just seems a bit much to me. Now the Ford 8" rear is easier on the pocket book but here again its not independant susp. From looking at the prices for chrome etc youve listed prices have gone up since I restored my Beam. I enjoy doing everything I can on my projects versus waiting on others to do it for me and having to pay them. Not meant to offend . You know my next project just maybe a daily driver with powder coat bumpers so I guess I need to learn to powder coat.
Dwain V6 Krazy

miket

Donation Time
What about the Miata rear end? These are often used in the LoCost builds (The Lotus 7 replica). The Locost sites have a zillion pictures of how the setup.

robertf

Donation Time
Dwain
I don't follow you.
We will spend
etc...............

Yes, but after spending all of that you still have an Alpine. Change one thing from stock and you might as well change everything (I know, hypocracy from the guy putting a mazda drivetrain in a car)

skywords

Donation Time
I get your point I guess Im just not in that $3000 paint job group. I belive restoration, mod and everything I have around $15000 in my Alpine. It to me does make more sense to spend the money on go power and also stopping(braking ability). I guess $5000 for a rearend just seems a bit much to me. Now the Ford 8" rear is easier on the pocket book but here again its not independant susp. From looking at the prices for chrome etc youve listed prices have gone up since I restored my Beam. I enjoy doing everything I can on my projects versus waiting on others to do it for me and having to pay them. Not meant to offend . You know my next project just maybe a daily driver with powder coat bumpers so I guess I need to learn to powder coat.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Dwain

Cost is a large factor and I am in agreement with you as I do everything I can myself also including the body and paint work. Every nickel we spend is money taken from our families. We justify it to ourselves as an investment but we all know we could never get it back from a sale of the car.

I purchased the bits I needed for my throttle linkage. I had three choices 1) bend rod at ninety degree angles using cotter pins. 2) use ball and socket ends similar to the factory. 3) use hemispherical rod ends at a very high costs. I choose the middle of the road ball and socket stuff. I just could not see spending $300.00 for throttle linkage. With the 3/8" tube and threaded ends it came in at $150.00 still a lot. What I hope to get from all this is a very reliable car.

Mike
I will look into the Miata rear end. Mounting is a huge obstacle with any conversion. Thanks for the tip.

Robert
I love that Mazda engine. Hope it works out!

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Rick,

I have a customer that bought a Tiger with an indepebdent rear suspension. He says it has handling issues, because the Alpine/Tiger body isn't wide enough to get long enough axles to make the system work right. The shorter the axles, the steeper the anglles that the U-joints have to make, as the wheels go up and down in their travel arc.

Just thought I'd pass this info on.

Jose

skywords

Donation Time
Hi Rick,

I have a customer that bought a Tiger with an indepebdent rear suspension. He says it has handling issues, because the Alpine/Tiger body isn't wide enough to get long enough axles to make the system work right. The shorter the axles, the steeper the anglles that the U-joints have to make, as the wheels go up and down in their travel arc.

Just thought I'd pass this info on.

Jose

That's a very good point. The other aspect is the more u joints you have the quicker you get that backlash clunk to develope with wear. My friends TR-6 suffers from that. Thanks

mike_also

Diamond Level Sponsor
Pardon me for interjecting. I met a guy, Tony Fontaine, about 15 - 17 years ago who'd built an V6 Alpine using an IRS out of a Nissan (240ZX?) with satisfactory results. Cheers.

skywords

Donation Time
Pardon me for interjecting. I met a guy, Tony Fontaine, about 15 - 17 years ago who'd built an V6 Alpine using an IRS out of a Nissan (240ZX?) with satisfactory results. Cheers.

I am still exploring my options. would be nice to see that install. Thank you for you input, all is appreciated.