• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear End series 2

londoner

Donation Time
I am putting back together my rear end on my series 2 today. I had new bearings pressed on the shafts as the old ones were shot. This may be a dumb question! Should I grease the bearings or does the oil in the differential keep them lubricated??

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
If you noticed the bearings shouldn't have any seals on the sides of the bearing race. So, they need differential oil lubrication.
It's not a bad idea to pack some lithium grease in the races just to pre-lube them for reassembly.
Jan

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Five of them were sheared off!!
Wow, you lucked out on that one. Some people place washers under the bolts, I maybe tried that once but I now locktite the threads without any washers to get as many bolt threads into the carrier. Did you get the AN bolts, I think from Aircraft Spruce? What vendor did you buy them from?
Jan

londoner

Donation Time
Wow, you lucked out on that one. Some people place washers under the bolts, I maybe tried that once but I now locktite the threads without any washers to get as many bolt threads into the carrier. Did you get the AN bolts, I think from Aircraft Spruce? What vendor did you buy them from?
Jan
Yes very lucky! I bought the bolts from Sunbeam specialties. The engine was seized when I got the car years ago, guessing that that may have caused the bolts to break.