• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

rear ead gear ratio

bluoval

Donation Time
hi all am going to pick up a 9 inch ford for the alpine from a friend who has a wide selection of ratios the v6 should put out around 200 hp with a mutt v6 t5 still havnt decided if im going to run a p185/80r13 or a 225/45zr16 wuold like to cruise at 65mph at around 2500rpm and still have the torque to get off the line . geting off the line is the most important to me. any and all help in this area would be a great help and yes i know the 9 inch is over kill..... thanks earl blu oval

britbeam

Donation Time
Why a nine inch rear diff? Do you have clearance for the chunk under the Alpine? Kinda like a guy running two 4bl on his Tiger and he says just because but it still doesnt make sense.Yes when building a V6 Alpine there are a lot of things to consider just take them one at a time and enjoy the creation. The way you combine ratios etc we determine how enjoyable the car turns out. Some people like a straight line drag car I like a all around driveable car.Its all in what you want to build. Enjoy

Dwain V6 Krazy

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Earl, there are a lot of things to consider and decisions to be made.

First up, of course, is the cruising rpm you want. Next is the top gear ratio of the transmission. Third, tire diameter. When these are all known, choosing the ratio is a simple problem in arithmetic. When you've made these decisions, post them and we can help you with the calculations. Or maybe do them. It is easier to solve the problem than give instructions on how to do it.

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
hi all am going to pick up a 9 inch ford for the alpine from a friend who has a wide selection of ratios the v6 should put out around 200 hp with a mutt v6 t5 still havnt decided if im going to run a p185/80r13 or a 225/45zr16 wuold like to cruise at 65mph at around 2500rpm and still have the torque to get off the line . geting off the line is the most important to me. any and all help in this area would be a great help and yes i know the 9 inch is over kill..... thanks earl blu oval
Hi Earl,

The 9" isn't just over kill, it is heavier than the 8". Because it has bigger gears inside, it draws more power than the 8" and because of it's size, is much harder to physically fit the Alpine body. If acceleration is your prime goal, the 9" will actually slow you down.

To end up cruising at 2,500 at 65, you will need to run a gear taller than 3.55's, which is the tallest gear I suggest using with the V6. With a gear like that your acceleration will be slower. These little engines don't have the torque that a V8 does, so need a steeper gear to accelerate well. Jim Ellis had a stock set of 3.89's in his Alpine, before he broke it. He consequently put in a set of 4.22's, and now says that it woke up the little bugger. These engines love rpm,s. If acceleration is primary with you, I suggest using a set of 4.11's in a Ford 8". This gear should cruise at between 2,900/3,100 at 65, (depending on tire size), in fifth gear. This rpm is right at the beginning of the power curve, so will give you acceleration even in fifth gear.

Jose :)