• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
For sale: Mount brackets, spacers nuts, bolts and washers for installation of Rear disc brakes for Alpine and Tiger.
The kit consist of:
2 each Brackets, axle housing flange to Caliper OEM Bracket; Spacers 1/4" thick 2 each; Spacers 1/8" 2 each; Spacers 1/16" 2 each; 2 each E-brake levers replacement for Saturn 1 right & 1 left.
6 bolts included ¼ - 20 x 1 ¼” lg w/nuts and washers,
for securing the bracket & spacers to the axle flange.
4 bolts 10 mm 1.5 x 25 12.9 for securing the kit bracket to the Saturn caliper bracket.
Wire wheel kits will be furnished with 6 each additional 1/4" spacers & longer bolts.
Sells for $155.00 + Shipping

NOTE: If you want rotors modified (4 bolt Sunbeam pattern drilled) as part of your kit, there is an additional cost of $100 to cover: modification to rotors, labor, and shipping (lower 48). If you decide to DIY, make sure you also get the Saturn OEM mount bracket because it is need for mounting to the KIT Axle Housing Bracket.
Below are the individual components recommended for converting a Sunbeam Alpine or Tiger rear drum brake system to a more modern Disc/Caliper/Rotor system. They are from a 1992 Saturn SC rear wheel setup and other interchangeable year/model components available. Nothing special about these components, just what my friend started with, they worked, so that is why the decision to continue.

The designed brackets and spacers will fit the bolt holes in the flange on the Stock rear axle housing. The brackets are interchangeable for either right or left sides.
I designed an emergency brake lever to replace the Saturn lever on the caliper so the Alpine hand brake will function correctly.

SATURN COMPONENTS RECOMMENDED consist of four items they are:
1. CARDONE 18B4524 and 18B4525 Remanufactured Unloaded Calipers w/Brackets Left and Right Rears with metal pistons. Estimated cost $60 each
2. CENTRIC 50007140 PQ PRO; w/Shims and Hardware. Premium Pads, Rear Disc Brakes. Estimate Cost $24 - $26. A set is for both sides.
3. CENTRIC 12062037 Rotor rear disc brakes. Estimate cost $20 each.
4. CENTRIC 15062355 Brake hose Estimate $8.46 each

NOTE: If you want rotors modified (4 bolt Sunbeam pattern drilled) as part of your kit, there is an additional cost of $100 to cover: modification to rotors, labor, and shipping (lower 48). If you decide to DIY, make sure you also get the Saturn OEM mount bracket because it is need for mounting to the KIT Axle Housing Bracket.

I NOW have fittings available for the Stock Steel wheel 13”application.

I want to ensure total safety and performance before offering. Let the Buyer beware..... I stand behind my laser cut brackets and spacers.

Direct your questions to tiger2dan@gmail.com

UPDATE as of today, AUGUST 3, 2023

Attachments

• Alpine Rear Disc Brackets by DanR                  20191121_165903.jpg
    Alpine Rear Disc Brackets by DanR 20191121_165903.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,
That's quite the write up! Very nicely done!!
This is going to be the next project on my car, once the new engine & trans are in.
I'm excited!!
Cheers!
Steve

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I had a question put to me:

QUESTION: I’m not real clear on what needs to be machined on the hub. If it needs to be machined to true it for the rotor, then why not machine it to fit the rotor instead of machining the rotor to fit it? This is obviously a permanent mod, so it would make it easier in the event rotors need to be replacing in the future, to just have to drill for the lug pattern.

ANSWER: Unless you are running wire wheels the hub will not need any machine work. My intent to enlarge the rotor center and not the hub in your case was to keep the hub stock should any owner wish to go back with the drums.

P.S. I'll post questions and suggestion that may be of help.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
ANOTHER QUESTION: Are the Tiger brackets different from the Alpine?

ANSWER: Alpine and Tiger rear mount brackets that fasten the caliper to the axle flange differ from one another because of the bolt patterns. And the Tiger housing are slightly larger in diameter.

Please specify your Sunbeam application.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Still selling :)

Updated the Kit to include several items.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
As of today August 3, 2023 I now have rear disc brakes available for the Stock Sunbeam 13" steel wheels.

It has taken a bit of time to get this figured out safely and effeciently IMO. I wish to thank Barry Knight and Bill Blue for their valuable support, ideas and encouragement.

Pictures and additional details to follow,

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Give me one good reason why anyone wants rear disk brakes???!!! The major braking is done by the front brakes.
Jan

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Give me one good reason why anyone wants rear disk brakes???!!! The major braking is done by the front brakes.
Jan
Yes, that may be true but if they should fail, I shall remember your statement/question.

I also highly recommend adding a tandem master cylinder as another added safety feature.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan, how long are you going to be making this kit? Starting to save my pennies for this.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
If you have to ask, you won't understand.
How about because the rear drums are likely easily prone to fading as who knows what diameter they have been cut to and are very pricey if you could find them. I enjoy not manual adjusting drum brakes AKA dumb brakes :)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here's the Adapter I found (thanks to Barry) that spaces the wheel out allowing adequate clearance for the caliper. It is a 4 bolt 4.25 to 4.25 (108mm) pattern used on the Sunbeams.

The adapter is 1.5" thick and appears to provide the wheel too much movement toward the outside of the fender. But, I had to have the backside of the adapter machined to accept the hub "guide" for the drum (originally installed) by 1/4" depth which mates the adapter to the hub without any lost space and inturn sets the wheel back inside of the fender. Reference the picture in POST #12 where I have a tape showing 1 &1/2" spacing between the sidewall of the tire and the outside of the fender (this is a "before" pic). That space has now been reduced to 1 & 1/4 providing adequate spacing for the tire, see also two PICs in POST #12.

In a below PIC of the Rotor, it is mounted on the backside of the hub as I did with the wire wheels. The rear/backside of the hub needs to be machined (about 1/8 of an inch) to true the mounting surface for the rotor, same as for the Wire Wheels.

Needless to say my PDF is in need of updating.....

Open for comments and suggestions,

Attachments

• Rear Disc Adapter for 13 inch Stock Steel Wheels    20230804_085655.jpg
    Rear Disc Adapter for 13 inch Stock Steel Wheels 20230804_085655.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • Rear Disc Adapter for 13 inch Stock Steel Wheels    20230804_085540.jpg
    Rear Disc Adapter for 13 inch Stock Steel Wheels 20230804_085540.jpg
    809.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Rear Disc Adapter for 13 inch Stock Steel Wheels    20230804_085221.jpg
    Rear Disc Adapter for 13 inch Stock Steel Wheels 20230804_085221.jpg
    698 KB · Views: 15
  • Rear Disc Adapter for 13 inch Stock Steel Wheels    20230804_085239.jpg
    Rear Disc Adapter for 13 inch Stock Steel Wheels 20230804_085239.jpg
    779.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 4bolt 4.25 to 4bolt 4.25 Adapter 13 in Rear Disc    20230804_085646.jpg
    4bolt 4.25 to 4bolt 4.25 Adapter 13 in Rear Disc 20230804_085646.jpg
    1,012.1 KB · Views: 15

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan, Great work! The stock 13" wheel shape is unusual and the rear axle width is narrow compared to front also.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Barry had made a very good point that the max spacer/ adapter should possibly be no thicker than 1 1/4". I did the 1 1/2 then machined the guide for the drum which reduced the spacing by 1/4" (back to 1 1/4 clearance).

Still viewing from any angle it looks good.

Last edited:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I added a 1/2" spacer to my install. The outside edge of the caliper was within a couple mm of the back of my wheel. I had to get longer studs to make it work as my spacer is just a disk with holes in it matching the bolt pattern.