• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear Differential common?

gordonra

Donation Time
I see there is a pumpkin on ebay, and was just curious...

Are they the same on all Alpines except for the ratio?

The axel housing is different on the SV, correct?

Thanks,

Rich

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The pumpkin will bolt in all series cars, can even be used on even older "small" rootes cars going back to the early to mid 50s.

They did however have different axle splines, which will require you to swap out the differential gears in the pumpkin to suit the axles in the case.

SI and most SIIs have 17 splines, all later splines are 25.

I see there is a pumpkin on ebay, and was just curious...

Are they the same on all Alpines except for the ratio?

The axel housing is different on the SV, correct?

Thanks,

Rich

agmason54

Donation Time
Hi
Why bother with the headache and trouble of swapping differential gears in the pumpkin when all you have to do is swap the axels?

For example in my SII I run a SV differential ('pumpkin') with SIV (25 spline) axels.It all bolts into the SII housing.

It's very simple -unless rebuilding differentials is your thing.... I used to throw howling pumkins away.Now I just put them on a shelf-usually all they need are the ring gear bolts tightened.

SV axels have different bearings and hubs but the same inner 25 splines otherwise the SV pumpkin would not work in my SII with SIV axels....

Albert Gears Mason