• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear axle: hub sitting 3/16" proud ???

hopsedge

Platinum Level Sponsor
Greetings All-

I've recently discovered on my recently acquired '67 SV that my left rear hub seems to sit about 3/16" proud relative to the right rear hub (photo "rearhubs"). This causes the left rear brake pad not to seat fully in the drum, thus leaving an unworn 3/16" ridge on the inside of the pad (photo "rearbrkpads"). What could be the reason for this? DO I have an axle bearing problem? Before I start dissembling things I thought I would reach out to you good folks to gain some insight into what I might find.

Cheers.

Attachments

• rearbrkpads.gif
    rearbrkpads.gif
    452.1 KB · Views: 62
  • rearhubs.gif
    rearhubs.gif
    235.3 KB · Views: 60

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Quite possible the axle bearing is not seated properly. Highly unlikely it is fatter/thicker than the other.

Maybe something is behind it or between the bearing and the seat in the axle housing.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Could also be that the sleeve on the axle that the bearing sits against has been moved inward by perhaps a former owner replacing the bearing or a manufacturing defect. There really isn't that much room for the bearing to not be seated in the axle house by that much. I'd also not that with the axle not fully in, that the splines on the driven end of the axle are not fully engaged which could cause damage to them and to the spider gears since the load isn't being handled as designed.

mikephillips

Donation Time
The angle of the taper is the same but an early hub diameter at the back where the axle enters is if I remember 38mm where the late V one is 42mm diameter where the axle enters. So while it would go in, the threaded end would be recessed in the outer end and I'd think it would be noticed since the nut wouldn't thread all the way on.

hopsedge

Platinum Level Sponsor
The angle of the taper is the same but an early hub diameter at the back where the axle enters is if I remember 38mm where the late V one is 42mm diameter where the axle enters. So while it would go in, the threaded end would be recessed in the outer end and I'd think it would be noticed since the nut wouldn't thread all the way on.

OK, so focusing in on replies by RootesRacer and Mike Phillips, are those diameters that Mike references o.d. or i.d.? That is, if I measure the o.d. of the back of the hub on both of sides of my car (before taking everything apart) and they are found not be equal, I can then safely assume that this mixing of early and late hubs is likely my problem, right? Then if so, I can focus my attn on trying to find a proper late SV hub for the left side, ugh.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
OK, so focusing in on replies by RootesRacer and Mike Phillips, are those diameters that Mike references o.d. or i.d.? That is, if I measure the o.d. of the back of the hub on both of sides of my car (before taking everything apart) and they are found not be equal, I can then safely assume that this mixing of early and late hubs is likely my problem, right? Then if so, I can focus my attn on trying to find a proper late SV hub for the left side, ugh.

Most rootes cast parts have the part# cast into the part.
I dont recall where the part number is on the hubs but you should determine if both sides match (may require a mirror if on the backside of the hub).

If they match, you are probably going to have to pull the long axle to figure out the skullduggery.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
There is a difference in the dia of the hubs between the early series nd the SV's Beware of attempting to interchange.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I think that Mike has diagnosed the problem, it is the sleeve. Someone has replaced the bearing or hub and not moved the sleeve. If you watch the rear hub seal video on The Sunbeam Alpine Channel it shows the sleeve and how it has to be moved. Sometimes the drum sits significantly out.

Tim R

hopsedge

Platinum Level Sponsor
PROBLEM SOLVED: Mike was on it. The collar/sleeve pressed onto the axle that acts as a locating stop for the bearing was not in the proper location, causing the axle flange to sit about 10 mm outboard from where it should be. After pressing the bearing and collar off the axle and cleaning all of the parts, the collar was pressed back onto the axle in the correct position, and everything aligned correctly. Acknowledgement: I did not perform this work myself.