• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

rear axel ratio for automatic Alpine

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Is there any difference in the rear end ratios from an automatic trans Alpine as opposed to one from a 4 speed trans Alpine. I'd rather not take the one I have apart to count teeth. The rear is from a 64 series IV # 9404213. Thanks in advance, Jeff

alpine_64

Donation Time
The alpine used a 3.89 diff in the auto cars. This is the same ratio as the Non OD cars for SI-II and SIV-V

Wombat

Donation Time
Jeff

In the sereis IV from B94102641 and all Series V for the North American market only, Rootes changed all diffs to the 4.22:1. Before this the Automatic had the same 3.89:1 as the non overdrive manual.

The one you have should be 3.89:1 providing it hasn't been swapped some time in the last 40 odd years.

Good luck

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I think I have a 4:22 spare laying around. I bought it as part of a package deal about 10 years ago. Has been sitting in the garage since. Email me if you are interested.

***alpine61@comcast.net***

65beam

Donation Time
rear end ratio

when chrysler changed body style in 1968,the cars with automatic trans went to a 3:70 ratio.they were not the fastest cars getting up to road speed.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Thanks for the info guys and offer Rob but I've got a lot of stuff laying around the garage too. I just didn't want to misrepresent the rear in case there was a difference. I've got a complete automatic drive train and other misc parts from an Alpine that was headed to the crusher. With a restoration started space is at a premium. I've got to build a list of what has to go for sale. Jeff

skywords

Donation Time
Don't forget you automatic guys Von has the shift covers that I made and I think he has 17 of them left. They are a bargain considering the tooling cost and material. $25.00 + shipping.

MVC-380F.jpg

Rick