• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Re: Zdp

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
i believe diesel oils don't have that much zdp in it now . the truck manufacturers started putting converters on trucks in 2003 . i bought several new internationals that year and the converter was built into the muffler . they had cat motors .i also bought new medium duty trucks with converters on them starting at that time .

This issue came up on Bob is the oil guy last fall. Shell provided them with a letter and oil analysis that showed that while the levels of the high pressure lubes had been reduced, they were still at a level that provides protection in Diesel engines.

Don't know how all this works out with the Diesel converter, perhaps it is a design that is not easily poisoned as its job is totally different than that of the gasoline engine converter.

Bill

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Accomodating the DPF's and all the exhaust configurations available with all the engine and cab & cab/sleeper configurations as well as the frame layouts on a Class 7 or 8 truck/tractor available........... it's a nightmare....

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Diesel engines have to be really tired before they burn oil like a gas job.

Even with a cat, zinc is not likely to foul it like with a gas system.

Reason is that they never make vacuum in the combustion chambers so oil usually isnt sucked through the guides, or past the compression ring.

Its turbo compressor oil seal failure that fouls diesel engines.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Strange how some subjects go on and on forever, and raise as many myths as anything else. Jose has it right: Synthetics give all and take away nothing. Just dope them with enough ZDP.

Hurrah! Nobody used the word WEIGHT!:D

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've always been curious if there are any issues over changing to synthetic.

Well, as I say, I think that any engine which has new seals will do fine, provided you add ZDP to the synthetic (I use Mobil 1 in most of my cars). But if the seals are older, I strongly recommend against using a synthetic because it will almost surely turn it into a chronic oil leaker. (I speak from experience!)