• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Re-evaluation Time

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Wow. I’m awfully glad you’re ok.... and also that the fuel tank didn’t rupture. As bad as it looks, though, I really do think that’s repairable - I’ve fixed much worse when I ran my shop.
Keep the car I don’t think it is as bad as it looks. I worked auto lines insurance for four years and spent a lot of time in shops. A good frame man is what you need!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
There is no doubt this is repairable, but not by me and probably not a shop in Connersville. This is the only Alpine they have seen and have no idea of what might be encountered while doing repair work. I doubt that any local will touch it.

The gas system is amazing. You can actually see the tank peeking out through the rip in the fender, yet not a drop of fuel was lost. The hit was hard enough the "B" post was jammed into the door, bent it and broke the side glass.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
The condition of Doug Jennings Tiger after his crash several years back makes Bill's car look like a minor fender bender. He hydro planed and hit a concrete pier a few times. Doug repaired it and he and Jill drove it last August to Wisconsin for the TE/AE United. Anything can be fixed.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
As stated, very fixable. You' ll need to find a decent bodyshop and some donor parts to give them with the car. See if you can get the parts cut as far to the outer parameters of the damage as possible to give the body guy a bit of lee way.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Bill.. Seeing that im glad you are ok.. Ypu have high back seats iirc.. So hopefully no whiplash.

Tereible to see your car in that state, as others said.. Its repairable.. If you want the car .. Amd dont want the insurance co to write it off.. Hu t around And find a decent donor rear guard.. Or better yet a rear clip so rhey can take the right rear rail ( pressing) ... A typical insurance co will write off to avoid the hastle or parts hunting... Pit in the ground work and get them to pay the bills....

Good luck.. Dont give up

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'm not a certified public adjuster but unless you have liability only you sure can squeeze em. Most companies use some type of car symbol that will denote value, and other things to talk about claims cost factors for the car as well as repairing costs. We could chat on this if you want.
I noticed Steve A has a right side rear fender on craigslist.
Obviously a big part of them deciding whether they're going to fix the car is they're going to get a quote for several hundred dollars or more for the parts.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Minor update. The shop was able to pull the fender free of the tire. It also opened the trunk and they reset the fuel pump inertia switch, so it should be driveable. To top things off, I'm feeling much better which is changing my perspective on the problem. I should be able to get the car home this week. I will then try to determine the extent of the damage and make decisions.

I have decided that whatever, we will will come out this with a Series Alpine. My addled brain has realized how important this car is to Barb and I owe her. She brought me back from two major illnesses. During the second one, she practically lived in the hospital for three weeks, caring for me. The car is a small payment on that debt.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
Minor update. The shop was able to pull the fender free of the tire. It also opened the trunk and they reset the fuel pump inertia switch, so it should be driveable. To top things off, I'm feeling much better which is changing my perspective on the problem. I should be able to get the car home this week. I will then try to determine the extent of the damage and make decisions.

I have decided that whatever, we will will come out this with a Series Alpine. My addled brain has realized how important this car is to Barb and I owe her. She brought me back from two major illnesses. During the second one, she practically lived in the hospital for three weeks, caring for me. The car is a small payment on that debt.

Bill
Bill,
I hear there's a lot of sheet metal in a storage container in Dayton. Keep that in mind.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,
I hear there's a lot of sheet metal in a storage container in Dayton. Keep that in mind.
I wonder if I could get the owner of said sheet metal to properly install it on my car? Will definitely look into that possibility as soon as I have an idea what has to be done. I also need the insurance money. A decent shell is available, so there is there is the possibility of finishing a car with the orange car parts. It will become a question of which is most doable.

Bill

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Ok is there uninsured motorists to coverage in Indiana? Also is there what they call uninsured motorist physical damage.
Let's say you're in California just for purposes of discussion..
You carry any limit of liability.
It is the agents duty to sell you the same amount of uninsured motors coverage as you have to protect you or get you to sign a waiver saying that you know that you're buying less insurance coverage for yourself as protection from the acts of the uninsured motorist.
Now let's say this at fault party who rear-ended you has the minimum liability which is usually a split limit of 15/30/5
5000 being the property damage. It was your agent's duty to sell you or offer to you uninsured motorist as well as the uninsured motorist physical damage of usually $3,500
So basically if the guy had $5,000 worth of coverage plus the UMPD you'd get $8,500 for your car plus whatever bodily injury loss of use you may be going after.
* I'm not a licensed agent anymore in California this is my opinion we'd have to compare it to what your contract actually says in your state..

Now if I was in your shoes I would probably look to my friends who are thinking about selling their car nod wink, ask them if they've put an ad up on the car that I could use to take to this adjuster and say look this car's worth $8,500 any day of the week can you see my comparables for $10,000 and above off of craigslist...
Plus I would investigate the at fault party by looking up his online information and you can find out a s*** ton about people what they own what they drive how many tickets they have and if they've ever been arrested by click click click

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ok is there uninsured motorists to coverage in Indiana? Also is there what they call uninsured motorist physical damage.
Let's say you're in California just for purposes of discussion..
You carry any limit of liability.
It is the agents duty to sell you the same amount of uninsured motors coverage as you have to protect you or get you to sign a waiver saying that you know that you're buying less insurance coverage for yourself as protection from the acts of the uninsured motorist.
Now let's say this at fault party who rear-ended you has the minimum liability which is usually a split limit of 15/30/5
5000 being the property damage. It was your agent's duty to sell you or offer to you uninsured motorist as well as the uninsured motorist physical damage of usually $3,500
So basically if the guy had $5,000 worth of coverage plus the UMPD you'd get $8,500 for your car plus whatever bodily injury loss of use you may be going after.
* I'm not a licensed agent anymore in California this is my opinion we'd have to compare it to what your contract actually says in your state..

Now if I was in your shoes I would probably look to my friends who are thinking about selling their car nod wink, ask them if they've put an ad up on the car that I could use to take to this adjuster and say look this car's worth $8,500 any day of the week can you see my comparables for $10,000 and above off of craigslist...
Plus I would investigate the at fault party by looking up his online information and you can find out a s*** ton about people what they own what they drive how many tickets they have and if they've ever been arrested by click click click
Warren there are some very bad drivers out there. I was an adjuster years ago if the guy that hit Bill is insured by one of the big insurance companies he has a good chance of having enough to repair.
The worst company is the one with the lizard in almost all cases it will go to subragation they don’t want to pay it’s a fight all the way!

65beam

Donation Time
Bill ,
A photo of what an Alpine looks like without a right rear fender. There were several dents from my younger days that Doug didn't like so he replaced a lot of panels.100_0630.JPG 100_0500.JPG

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The other drivers insurance company is Allstate. Whatever the settlement, I'll discuss it with my agent. He is one of the last truly good guys. Indiana has an uninsured driver program, but I've never heard of anything about underinsurance.

Looking at Bob's photos, I'd say we probably need a lot more than a fender.

Bill

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I could easily turn this into a bit__ session or an about me picture fest. But the bottom line is the coverage the other party has. I suggested gathering other comps currently for sale or ones that have sold. What I do know is they shall try to either pay policy limits and say sue our client for the PD overages and try to get the BI out of the way. Not sure how a picture of a fender less car helps. I know a rear clip sold here in So. Cal. for 500 bucks. When my Falcon got a quarter panel hit the ins. company got a quote for 3500 in parts alone and moved to total the car. It was easy I said my shop got a whole car for 500 pay my shop and them 500 for the car and fix it , they did. They were moving to total the car and some cooperation and not shopping at a "classic car breaker yard," did the trick...

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The picture of the fenderless car helps me a lot. It gives me an idea of what is probably damaged and the parts needed. It makes the idea of finishing out a shell using parts from the wrecked car sound like an excellent idea.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
I could easily turn this into a bit__ session or an about me picture fest. Not sure how a picture of a fender less car helps. ..
It helps by showing Bill and others just what is behind the outer sheet metal. When you look at a mangled fender like Bills and then see these photos it's possible that the damage to the outer skin may not have caused a lot of damage to the inner structure. You wouldn't know until the damaged metal is removed. These photos are of cars in Doug's shop and show the scope of work he has done. The cars in the first photo are not my cars. The second photo is my series 4. Look at the first photo and you can see the left rear fender skin from the inside. The tank sets between the fender skin and the frame rail. There may be some inner damage but anything can be fixed by a body man that knows how to use body tools. I have countless photos taken over close to 40 years of both Alpines and Tigers in various stages of repair and many of the photos show Tiger specific details.

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
If you had the boot open it sure would not look as straight as any pictures of Bob's. I suppose he could always point to his album rather than adding to every thread from washer bottles to badly bashed Beams.
The shockwave likely carried on much further into the car .
But seriously if it helps you save the car that's great.