• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rapier on film!

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nifty old film which features a nicely turned out Rapier convertible. Enjoy!

(Also... see if you can find the parked earlier Sunbeam sedan as well!)

Last edited:

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Looked to be a Minx in front of the school. Might be a Singer pulling in behind the towed Morris Minor. Saw a Husky but couldn't discern if series I or II. Think I saw a Husky of the models prior to the Audax series. There might be others.

Last edited:

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Kevin,

I saw that, but didn't recognize it as a Sunbeam. I'll have to admit I'm not very familiar with anything prior to the Audax series cars. I've not really seen any earlier models unless it was in a movie, or on TV.

On the other hand, I'll admit to being more interested in the way the grill is partially blocked, and why the owner thought that an improvement.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don, it's clearly cold weather in this film. It was a common practice to cover a radiator in cold weather to improve he heating of the motor, and in turn, the car's heater. The covers were sold in bespoke made-to-fit sizes as well as one-size-fits-all.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don, it's clearly cold weather in this film. It was a common practice to cover a radiator in cold weather to improve he heating of the motor, and in turn, the car's heater. The covers were sold in bespoke made-to-fit sizes as well as one-size-fits-all.

Kevin,

It's definitely colder weather in the frame. I'll guess, mid 30's to low 40's(*F), intermittent showers, and expectations of lower temps and more precipitation on the way, observing the blanket covered car in the background. I wouldn't be surprised if that one didn't even have a heater so as to save a few pounds when purchased. ;)

I didn't know covers like that were offered for sale, ready for installation. I've learned something new.

On the other hand, I knew why the blocking was done. I've done the same myself on occasion, in a different manner. In this case, I was trying to decide how much smaller the opening would have to be, to be effective. Or, even if the grill were totally blocked, would it be more than marginally effective.

I'm not familiar with the front end construction on that Sunbeam model. My guess is that the bodywork is at least partially open between the valence and the radiator. Also, there is probably a wedge shaped cavity between the angled grill and vertical radiator. That cavity should be more than enough volume to allow incoming air from the restricted grill and any lower body openings, to expand sufficiently to engage the full radiator core. :cool:

Just an inquiring mind,

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yep, a radiator "muff" was a common item in the UK in the the 50's and 60's... I've seen quite a few. I know you can still buy them for Land Rovers (even the newer ones), but I don't know what else.

Google "radiator muff" and you'll see a ton, though I didn't see one on a Sunbeam.

Here's a similar one on an MG 1100:

A2947B83-C04F-4075-9FB4-B7D49EFDF9DE.jpeg

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
When I was a kid, we had a Saab 96. It had what looked like a roll up window blind in front of the radiator. It pulled up from the bottom. It was operated by a cord under the dash. On a 64 Falcon I drove, we used a piece of cardboard.