1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

Rapier on Bring A Trailer

Discussion in 'Huskies, Imps, Rapiers & Others' started by Jay Laifman, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Jay Laifman

Jay Laifman Donation Time

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1...mail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2018-01-31

I don't know that I've ever seen so many pictures of one, and a couple videos.

I have to agree with one of commentators, that engine sounds noisy!

I also have to agree with another commentator:

It’s kind of like a Picasso. At first glance, I question what no-talent hack designed this thing. But the more I look at it and admire the lines, the more I appreciate it. I’m drawn to it.

2. 65beam

65beam Bronze Level Sponsor

The fastback was nicknamed the "Mini Cuda". Think about that. I have had three with the auto trans. With the 3.70 gear in the rear the car was very sluggish and slow on take off. I prefer the 68/69 models. They have the wood dash and several differences to the interior and also the exterior. The manual trans is much better. Pull up conceptcarz.com, search sunbeam alpine GT and photos of a 69 GT should open. You'll see the differences.

3. DanR

DanR Diamond Level Sponsor

I tried to get the wife to buy it! First question was if it had A/C ?

It is a nice vehicle but, would be even better with an A/C with outdoubt.

And my Electric Power Steering (EPS) would enhance the driving around town also:)

4. Jay Laifman

I tried that once. I bought for her a 1955 Alpine, Mark III, needing FULL restoration, but totally straight, and rust free - ivory/red. I never got to it. I sold it to some guy from northern Canada somewhere. I wonder what ever happened to it.

FWIW, I did bring it up with my wife first. Total misread. I thought she "agreed". But when I showed up with the car ... oh boy. Not pretty. She did not think she agreed at all. That probably contributed to me not getting around to it. She's driving a 2018 Honda Civic Type R now - so it's not like she wouldn't drive a sports car!

Also, there are aftermarket AC kits out there that work pretty well. I have one on a VW.

At least I'm running an engine from one of these Rapiers!

5. 65beam

Jay,
    The Rapier was never imported to the states. The body is the same but there are other differences such as seats and interior, engine specs, brakes and trim. I have a 69 Alpine that has dual advance units on the distributor.
    Dan,
    The next time I have the 69 at a meet and you're there you'll have to take it for a drive. No need for P/S.

6. Jay Laifman

I just meant I have an H120 engine in my Alpine. But, I'll happily enjoy a ride in your 69!

7. 65beam

How did you talk someone in the U.K. into selling you an H120 engine? Or did you build an engine to the Holbay specs/

8. Jay Laifman

About 20 years ago, Sunbeam Specialties came across an NOS Holbay head, and had a few NOS H120 cams. I got new DCOE Webers, a TWM Weber manifold, and had custom pistons made. I had the distributor recurved (disabling the vacuum advance mechanism). I also came across a custom racing exhaust headers that happened to be the larger ID that matched the Holbay head exhaust ports. I also now have someone who will send me NOS H120 Webers. But, as I understand it my 40 DCOE 151 Webers are better - and they are totally dialed in. So I haven't jumped on those carbs. The clutch and flywheel are lightened too - but that's not really a H120 thing.

I don't have a Holbay valve cover though! I am using one with "SUNBEAM" and the "S".

FWIW, I strongly believe that if Sunbeam had this engine in the Alpine, they never would have made the Tiger. I'm not saying it's better than the Tiger (though I think it is in some driving). I'm just saying it's so much more power, that there wouldn't have been the pressure to make something different.

9. 65beam

Jay
    About four years ago I bought a Holbay valve cover in the U.K. Gave too much money for it and it was shipped. I have no reason to not believe the person that handled the transaction and he provided copies of the shipping paper but it has yet to show up on my porch. I wanted it for the 69.

10. RootesRooter

RootesRooter Platinum Level Sponsor

The '70 GT sold for $5200 yesterday. From the photos, there's a month-of-manufacture sticker that says Nov 69. Interesting that Chrysler UK had already switched the dash etc from wood to brushed steel/aluminum(?). Only the 2nd one like this I've come across in 40 years.

11. 65beam

This car has been up for sale several times by "different " owners but the photos are always the same. Check out the turn buckles to hold the battery.