• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Random Pictures

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
Since I posted a couple interesting pics I discovered on the LeMans cars in the racing Alpines section, I thought I'd share some pics of the ones with the 'neat' roof-lines (again, at an English G2G in about 1992). I won't pretend to know all that much about Harringtons, like why some have a hatch and others like the SIV doesn't:

sunbeamharalpinesivih9.jpg

sunbeamharriingtonalpinjq2.jpg

sunbeamharringtonalpineia7.jpg

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
That red SV has the wrong roof and was someones own conversion. That is an original HA roof found on a SII and a SIV should have the Series D roof with a hatch. This car is known to the HA registry and that roof has been removed from that car in the recent past.

65beam

Donation Time
harrington

ian,
i picked up a piece of harrington literature in the U.K. that is for the type D and it shows a series 3 body ( wing windows and fins) . have you seen this piece ?

Tullamore

Donation Time
That red SIV has the wrong roof and was someones own conversion. That is an original HA roof found on a SII and a SIV should have the Type D roof with a hatch. This car is known to the HA registry and that roof has been removed from that car in the recent past.

I know its not correct but I think it looks great. I like that tail better than the big fins. I wouldn't have taken the roof off. Did they remove the roof to use it to repair a HA?

65beam

Donation Time
type D harrington

scott,
that is the piece that i have ,but the type D that rick kellett has is built on a series 4 .it is in the washington , d.c. area. it will be at the meet next week ,since he is one of the organizers. you may have seen it at the cincinnati meet .

alpine_64

Donation Time
I know its not correct but I think it looks great. I like that tail better than the big fins. I wouldn't have taken the roof off. Did they remove the roof to use it to repair a HA?

that car ran in the Manx Historic in 1995 or 96 IIRC. I think its a good looking car, but you can see the issue with the early series screen setup vs late. The 1/4 windows are not ouching the top and not sure how they did the screen attachment.. must have been a similar issue to the alpine that ran at daytona as a SII with S3 hardtop.

Dont know if anyone recalls the custom fastback alpine in UK that was on ebay a few years back, SIV shell with a fastback roof in a metalic green... that was a VERY nicely proportioned car.

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
scott,
that is the piece that i have ,but the type D that rick kellett has is built on a series 4 .it is in the washington , d.c. area. it will be at the meet next week ,since he is one of the organizers. you may have seen it at the cincinnati meet .

Bob, check out the registry at www.harringtonalpine.org. There are 5 Series 'D' on S3 chassis and 4 Series 'D' on SIV chassis known to exist. Rick's car is on there.

What's interesting is that there are more and more LeMans cars showing up that are new to the registry, but no new Harringon Alpines seem to be appearing.

65beam

Donation Time
ian,
rick also had a lemans that his ex wife ended up with .i wonder if we have it listed on the registry ?

g.boat

Donation Time
Michael,

I saw the metalic green Alpine you refer to at the STOC National meeting at Silverstone some years back. I though it was a stunning car and similar to an Aston Martin from some aspects. Nicely executed as well. Not sure who owns it but could find out easily.

Andy

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
Clearly Harringtons aren't my realm. I do recall the Brits saying that there was either just one Series IV Harrington or just one Harrington Tiger. I can't recall which now. Likely it was the Tiger......and it was blue. Will have to look for a pic.....