• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

rally report

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
The SIV completed abt 200 miles of the annual Race of Fools rally then broke down in a south Georgia village.

The car performed well until the last, having started 20th in line and moving up to ~8th (exact data not yet available).

Entrants started one minute apart indicating a gain of 12 minutes, surpassing 12 of the leading cars.

The SIV was the ony Sunbeam entered and was the oldest car entered in the event.

Absent mechanical difficulties the Sunbeam was positioned to place if not win outright.

74 TriumphTR676 TriumphTR680 TriumphTR875 TriumphDolomite Sprint75 MGB80 TriumphTR864 SunbeamAlpine73 Mercedes450SL76 BMW200273 TriumphStag80 TriumphTR877 MGB72 TriumphGT672 JaguarE-type76 MGB75 Ferrari308 GT474 Mercedes28079 TriumphTR768 TriumphTR25077 Triumph2500S72 Triumph200066 Chevrolet427 Corvette72 JaguarE-type64 Porsche35676 JaguarXJ6C

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Bummer, what broke?

Rootesracer,

Cause unknown at this time but almost certainly timing issues (distributor clamp down bolt came loose and distributor slipped), and possibly a dead #2 cylinder.

Extreme road conditions possibly contributed.

Allan

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Damn! And you came THAT CLOSE! Hope it is something trivial. Its about time you got a break with that car.

Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Allan,

Sorry to hear about your retirement and as Bill stated I hope it is something small. What type of rally is it and is it a serious or fun rally? Down under we have to be careful calling an event a 'rally' due to insurance reasons.

Regards, Robin.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Allan,

Sorry to hear about your retirement and as Bill stated I hope it is something small. What type of rally is it and is it a serious or fun rally? Down under we have to be careful calling an event a 'rally' due to insurance reasons.

Regards, Robin.

The annual Race of Fools rally is not on the same level of difficulty as the rallies made famous 'back in the day and I guess the big rallies held today.

It only runs several hundred miles, and attracts entrants interested in a good challenge with hopes for a nice cash prize.

It's organized so that the level of challenge is fairly difficult.

By difficult, consider washed out dirt roads that are not on many maps, forget GPS, generally bad but paved roads, and so forth with checkpoints located in extremely obscure, rural settings almost impossible to find.

Running against the clock from north Georgia to south Georgia over the best/worst navigable terrain is punishing.

I'd guess the rule that a moving violation disqualifies mitigates insurance issues.

Allan

Armand4

Donation Time
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one crazy enough to go on rallies in an Alpine. I did the California Melee last year and I'm going to do the Snowball Rally at the end of the month. Those are more "tours" than "rallies," though-- an excuse to screw around with fellow car enthusiasts, with no checkpoints or time-speed-distance requirements. I'm always impressed by people who can do real T/S/D stuff without getting lost! Here's hoping that you can get your Alpine back on the road again without too much fuss, and keep showing those Triumph and MG guys what a real rally car looks like!