• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Radio console...what is correct.

Duke

Donation Time
I have a WR 11 Radio and WR 9 fitting kit for my tiger. The grill in front of the speaker is painted black like this -
SIV_SIV.jpg

I have seen several like this too -
PtigerInt1.JPG

What is correct for the 66 Tiger?

If it is the silver grill, can I just blast the paint off of the grill or will it need to be painted. What type of metal is it?

TIA!

Duke

Donation Time
OK, sorry about the wrong section. I figured that this is the same option that came in the S-IV,V so it belonged in the stock Alpine section.

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Duke:

The bottom picture in your original post shows the "LAT-72 Motorola Radio Kit" for a Tiger. That description is straight out of the "bible of the Tiger hobby," known as "The Book of Norman." That particular picture, taken about six years ago, shows that radio kit in a Tiger Mk1A,
serial #B382001600LRXFE. How do I know this, you might ask? Because I'm the one who took the picture and it's my Tiger. I pieced that kit together off of Ebay and from parts ads over the years. When I got the speaker grille, it was the metallic color, not black. I, too, have only seen them in the metallic finish. Odds are that someone has painted that grille black in the first picture, although just as surely as I say that, there will be someone out there who will claim that they bought theirs new and it was black.

As far as cleaning the grille back to it's metallic finish, I was lucky in the fact that mine still had a good metallic finish to it. As I remember, the metal is pretty delicate and I'd hate to get after it too hard with anything. Maybe, just maybe, you could glass bead it at a very low pressure but I can't remember enough about it to be sure.

I've seen that radio mount and speaker grille with a variety of different radios installed, leading me to believe that the Motorola unit was not the only radio available with that kit. I do know, however, that the bright aluminum finish around the radio itself is different depending upon which radio you have.

If you need any more info or any further pictures of it, just let me know and I'd be glad to post some.

Take care,

Duke

Donation Time
How do I know this, you might ask? Because I'm the one who took the picture and it's my Tiger. I pieced that kit together off of Ebay and from parts ads over the years.

Yep, I knew it was your car. My goal is to make my interior be as nice as yours. I have a dash on order from Prestige Autowood, he tells me it is the pick of the litter too.

I'll just not worry about the speaker grill color. I don’t think that I would get any grief about it from anyone.

Thanks for the info.

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
I'll just not worry about the speaker grill color. I don’t think that I would get any grief about it from anyone.

Duke:

Thanks for the nice comment about my car!!! If there is anything I can do for you to help you get your car to where you want it, just let me know.

As far as your speaker grille is concerned, you're right...I don't think anyone would give you grief over it. Besides that, it's your car, right? But, if you want to put it back to the metallic color, you could probably do a little experimenting with strippers or light bead blasting. I would suggest if you try either one of those techniques, do it on the edges of the grille first so that, just in case something went wrong, it wouldn't necessarily show once it was put together.

Best of luck, Duke, on your restoration work. Drop me a line anytime!!!!