• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Radiator finally!!

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Picked up the radiator today! The core is MX, wider tubes, 14 fins / inch very efficient
The green object is a super thin plastic cutting board I use this to shield the fins from the water pump
I learned this trick years ago when installing an aluminum radiator into my tiger
The only other mods were to turn the inlet and outlet towards the middle with a slight downturn

Oh, I am running a 12" Flex a lite elec fan set up as a pusher, rated at 1369 CFM

Almost ready to fire it up

Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_4715.jpg
    IMG_4715.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4716.jpg
    IMG_4716.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4717.jpg
    IMG_4717.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 106

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bruce, Good thing you are not utilizing a manual fan....Your top hose would get cut with the blades.

IF I see correctly your bottom connection exits out the back with the 90 elbow in stead of under the bottom? That must be why you had to splice the bottom hose?

Looks like you picked a winner with the electric fan!

I like the idea of the "Green" sheet used to protect the fins while installing or removing those components.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Picked up the radiator today! The core is MX, wider tubes, 14 fins / inch very efficient
The green object is a super thin plastic cutting board I use this to shield the fins from the water pump
I learned this trick years ago when installing an aluminum radiator into my tiger
The only other mods were to turn the inlet and outlet towards the middle with a slight downturn

Oh, I am running a 12" Flex a lite elec fan set up as a pusher, rated at 1369 CFM

Almost ready to fire it up

Bruce
Having said that why don't you switch the outlets left for right and then you wouldn't have a hose problem or splice as Dan says?????? Your modifying the rad anyway ??????

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Having said that why don't you switch the outlets left for right and then you wouldn't have a hose problem or splice as Dan says?????? Your modifying the rad anyway ??????
I just turned the outlets inwards. The thermo housing on the Cologne is low and very close to the radiator This makes it easier to connect the lower hose.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Joel, It is because of the required way the thermostat housing has to be modified. The stock housing points straight downward and will hit the Alpine crossmember unless "turned up and forward at a 45 +/- degree. When it is turned up and forward enough to clear the crossmember it is then too close to the radiator for an easy clearance to the radiator connection if you are trying to make a connection at the bottom left side..

In the 1st PIC you can see there is very little working room to fit a short angled hose. In the 2nd PIC both the unmodified and the modified housing are shown.

I went with the next way the 3rd PIC depicts to work the bottom one piece Gates 22080 hose.

The 4th PIC shows both the unmodified OFY and my recommendation for modification to the top water neck....turned to point to the left. This to me is a very neat way to arrange the routing and flow, just more expensive. A fellow member came up with a way to utilize the stock housing (Upper) and a hose with curve that would get angled back toward the left but it had to be spliced. Still a neat way to go and less expensive.

Attachments

• 2.8 V6 Thermostat Housing modified and in position  2014-07-12 07.53.12.jpg
    2.8 V6 Thermostat Housing modified and in position 2014-07-12 07.53.12.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Thermostat Housing original and Modified 2014-03-16 00.25.48.jpg
    Thermostat Housing original and Modified 2014-03-16 00.25.48.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Radiator Modification recommended by DanR 20161109_174637 (2).jpg
    Radiator Modification recommended by DanR 20161109_174637 (2).jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 20161109_175614.jpg
    20161109_175614.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 56

sd_pace

Donation Time
phyman, does the radiator you did increase the amount of coolant in the system?
(does it hold more water?)

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Joel, It is because of the required way the thermostat housing has to be modified. The stock housing points straight downward and will hit the Alpine crossmember unless "turned up and forward at a 45 +/- degree. When it is turned up and forward enough to clear the crossmember it is then too close to the radiator for an easy clearance to the radiator connection if you are trying to make a connection at the bottom left side..

In the 1st PIC you can see there is very little working room to fit a short angled hose. In the 2nd PIC both the unmodified and the modified housing are shown.

I went with the next way the 3rd PIC depicts to work the bottom one piece Gates 22080 hose.

The 4th PIC shows both the unmodified OFY and my recommendation for modification to the top water neck....turned to point to the left. This to me is a very neat way to arrange the routing and flow, just more expensive. A fellow member came up with a way to utilize the stock housing (Upper) and a hose with curve that would get angled back toward the left but it had to be spliced. Still a neat way to go and less expensive.
Dan,. All Greek to me from the looks of Bruce's pictures I'm thinking there's another avenue. The picture is the mod to a Ford thermo housing that I modified I'actually machined one back in the stone age.

Attachments

• IMG_20200128_061339468.jpg
    IMG_20200128_061339468.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 37

whiskytangofoxtrot

Silver Level Sponsor
There are some Chinese companies on eBay selling aluminum radiators that drop right in. however I got one from a company that flipped the schematic. I had to use spacers, but they refunded my money and didn't want it back. It does keep the car cool.