• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Radiator Cap

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Remembering Jan's remarks about radiator caps, I checked mine because I lose water with not much driving. I have a 3/4inch cap, it doesn't seal. I bought a 1 inch cap but it will not go on, a hair too long. I think my radiator is stock but have no way of really knowing. Is there such a thing as a 7/8ths inch reach cap? (Last cap I bought came from SS and was marked as the correct one) If anyone has this issue and a part number, thank you!!

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

In my book of notes from all of these forums, I see that a radiator cap for a 1939-1952 Ford tractor, part #0237518, will work. The only thing is I didn't note if that was a Ford number or NAPA, or what. Also since I own a Series II, it might be specific to that model. Sorry I can't be more help.
Lee

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
I bought a Stant replacement 7psi cap at one of the local auto parts chains, seems to fit.

The Stant website even lists Alpines in their catalog, part# 10206

Here's the dimensions: http://info.rockauto.com/Stant/Detail.html?10206.jpg

If you fill the radiator to the very brim, you will always lose a little coolant as soon as you reach operating temperature as the warm coolant expands. Since there is no expansion/recovery tank, when the engine cools the level will be lower as that lost coolant is not sucked back in like a modern car.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm having a coolant loss problem also. so if I install a "tank" for the over flow would I just stick the overflow hose into it(to the bottom) ? Or is there more to it ?

Thanks, Tom j

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Overflow

Tom,
Sticking the overflow tube into a "tank" will catch the coolant, but the coolant will not flow back into the radiator (after it cools off) unless you switch to a cap designed for a closed cooling system (which is what you really want). These caps are easy to come by, any competent auto parts store should be able to fix you up.

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
Tom,
Sticking the overflow tube into a "tank" will catch the coolant, but the coolant will not flow back into the radiator (after it cools off) unless you switch to a cap designed for a closed cooling system (which is what you really want). These caps are easy to come by, any competent auto parts store should be able to fix you up.

I haven't yet been able to find a suitable "recovery" cap for my SeriesII. It needs to be one of the "long" caps, and 7lb. The only recovery caps I can find in Australia (CPC) are "short" 7lb caps, or "long" 14lb caps. Anyone know a part number or supplier in Aus?

Thats the long and short of it ;)

Dave