1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

Racing Header ???

Discussion in 'Rootes Racing' started by mototron, Jul 27, 2016.

1. spmdr

spmdr Donation Time

Back in 03, Larry asked me to help him with his Alpine. He thought it could run better in the higher RPMs.

After seeing the head and how much it was milled, I was shocked he didn't have more head gasket issues.

I was also shocked how small the Exhaust valves were!

The head guy I was using, at the time, thought the Alpine Exhaust valve and port were the Extra little Bottle neck as far as performance.

The head guy put in as big Ex valves as he could, the Intakes were already BIG.

We notched the block to clear the Ex valves, but the pistons were right up to the deck!

Because he had so little head gasket issues, we figured why "fix" a problem that is not there?

It DID run better in the upper RPMs.

Unfortunately, Larry sold the Alpine not long after...

DW

2. Bill Blue

Bill Blue Platinum Level Sponsor

Lately I've become interested in Alpine headers and their development. You are looking for a header with better flow, which brings up a whole bunch of questions. Such as, "Better than what?", "At what rpm?" and "How could you tell?" I ask because I have yet to find performance information on any Alpine header.

Bill

3. alpine_64

alpine_64 Donation Time

As a side note, the header that dan posted with 4 into 1 looked similar to the ones Bill Atalla made years ago when he was building his race car

4. DanR

DanR SAOCA Treasurer Diamond Level Sponsor

Here are a few Alpine Headers:

1st Pic is cast iron manifold and Falcon Header Alpine Headers    20190105_130439.jpg

2nd Pic is a group of Alpine Headers. The one in the middle I believe came from an Early Alpine engine.

Attached Files: