• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Racing Alpine Taillights

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
My 11 year old son is obsessed with racing Alpines. Not a bad thing of course. He is constantly talking about buying one when he is older to race (better keep Steve's number handy). He is also obsessed with racing Triumph Spitifires and Ginetta G4s - but we'll ignore those for here. Anyway, he wants to know about those individual round brake and tail lights that some of the racing Alpines had. Anyone have the information on exactly what lenses those are? I presume they were not unique to Sunbeams. Also, which Sunbeams actually had those special lights?

Thanks,
Jay

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
The '62 Sebring Alpines had those separate round tail lights units, as well as the Le Mans Alpines. I'm sure they were shared with other Brit cars, but don't have any information readily at hand to give you a specific part number.

mikephillips

Donation Time
I don't recall if they're the flat or pointed lense but they may be either the Lucas L488 flat or L594 pointed lamps. I personally perfer the look of the pointed lense.

agmason54

Donation Time
racin' tail lights

Jay,
'Alpine -the Classic Sunbeam' by Chris McGovern shows them on page 120. They are pointy with a chrome base. Cool looking and may be a cheap alternative to plain old plain lenses.They almost look like front turn signals with red lenses.I might do that myself.....
Agm

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
A cool photo

Here is a cool photo.
Also printed in the Invasion VII Club Magazine.

race8.jpg

I hope this is of some help.
Regards,
Andrew

AndrewM

Donation Time
For the 1962 Sebring Alpines, the Works replaced the rear stock taillights with a Lucas L642 (body) with two 539 lights/lenses mounted over a blanking plate to allow for external access to lamps.

Andrew Martin

64beam

Donation Time
Was the tail lamp modification done purely for weight saving or just for a different look for the race cars?

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Was the tail lamp modification done purely for weight saving or just for a different look for the race cars?

I think it was to allow quick access to the bulb from the outside/front of the lamp. :confused:
I would think there would be a little less weight.

Andrew

Armand4

Donation Time

A lot of the racers of the '60s and '70s had taillights like this for weight saving-- look at old Porsche 911R and Carrera RS lightweights for a good example. However, I can't think that the glass lenses used on the lights on these racing Alpines would be much lighter than the stock plastic lenses. Maybe external access was the only reason for the different taillights. Of course, you can't deny that they look awesome.

Oh, and Jay-- keep your son interested in Alpines! I don't know if you read Classic Motorsports, but they're currently running a series of articles about the publisher's son rebuilding a $200 Spitfire. I think exposing kids to vintage cars is a Good Thing in general, and it'll keep our hobby from dying out. I'll turn 24 in a couple months, which means most of the gearheads my age are wrapped up in Hondas and BMWs. I pity them, as they'll never learn the intricacies of a Weber DGV or the agony of a Lucas electrical system.

AndrewM

Donation Time
The Sebring cars also had the rear of the headlight bucket cut out to access the headlight lamp, so I would guess that lamp access was a necessity in distance races. The difference in weight between the stock rear lamp assembly and the alternate is negligible, so I am pretty sure that access to the lamps was the only reason for the change.

Andrew Martin