• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Race Car in the Making

atallamcs

Donation Time
Finally, getting close to finishing this long term project. The shop has a short list, lowering the front and rear to start (have yet cut the front springs) and I have a list as well. Another month and I will post some pictures. Here are a few progress photos.
Bill

hillmanhuskyguy

Silver Level Sponsor
Is that an engine turned dash?
Very Slick Job, whole car looks just killer.
I think I need to see some engine shots (hint hint!)

Cris

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,
Did you retain the eyebrow headlight covers for originality? They will cost about 1 mph or more at speed. That is one amazing job, I especially like the grill.

BLISTIC

Donation Time
Damn that is sexy!
can we have a little info and pics of the engine.

I pulled the windscreen frame off mine...just sitting in the garage with the roll bar sitting there in the back... a worn out tub...yet it has a certain appeal about it.
Even the wife mentioned it is looking better already.

atallamcs

Donation Time
Race Car

As requested, a few more race car shots. I will open up the entire album later in June when the car is finished and "good" pictures are taken. But for now, here are a couple more at the shop.

As for engine details, there are many. I started with a custom built 1725 that dyno'd at 138 hp then we made changes to the intake, carburation, and exhaust. So I am guessing it is a bit more potent than when I started.

Bill

64beam

Donation Time
It would be nice to think it is at the wheels. Even so, with that much more power it would certainly move along nicely.

Regards, Robin.

atallamcs

Donation Time
Race Car

A couple of answers. The hp is at the flywheel. The weight of the car is still unknown but I made great strides to reduce the weight but then I added some back with the roll bar and other needed accessories. Can anyone tell me the weight of a stock Series IV? I know from quick calculations the car lost 165# in weight but then I think it may have gained most of that back--we shall see when I weigh it next month.

More picture of my other cars: http://community.webshots.com/user/atallamcs

Bill

atallamcs

Donation Time
race car

Now I get it--the cars in the background, the mgtd and others are not mine, just those at the shop where the car is being completed.
Bill

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill,
I'm interested in the install of the Cobra style fender vents. Is the fender cut-out rolled? Anything special to installing the vents?

atallamcs

Donation Time
race car

Regarding the vents. The easiest part is buying them. The install is very expensive and complicated. Where I located them puts a hole in the engine compartment and the foot well, so special ducting is required to be made to direct the engine heat out and close off the foot wells. It was not cheap to do. That is why most of the time the vents are higher up on the fenders. Does not interfer with the foot wells and is easier and more cost effective to make work.
Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
Bill,
I'm interested in the install of the Cobra style fender vents. Is the fender cut-out rolled? Anything special to installing the vents?

There is a member on the TEAE site who has reproduced a set of correct LAt vents, he has a series of pictures and istall shots in the description.. he posted this 2 days back so might be worth a look for you

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
There is a member on the TEAE site who has reproduced a set of correct LAt vents, he has a series of pictures and istall shots in the description.. he posted this 2 days back so might be worth a look for you

Thanks.

I signed up and sent him a PM

MikeH

atallamcs

Donation Time
Race Car

Several have asked about the metal tonneau and the three piece wheels. Here are a few pictures.
Bill