• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Race car in street clothing

atallamcs

Donation Time
My schedule will not give me the time to race this car this year. So, I made a few changes so I could run it on the road and break-in the drive train and all the systems. Not a bad idea, certainly better than hitting the track and having a mechanical the first race. I added a stock windshild, quiet muffler, street tires and took off some of the decals so as not to be too visible. Got it registered and will go through it on the street, then the track.

Here is a link to a few detailed pictures.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2002009760078015567wZsaDM

Bill

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
The terror of Geiger Grade and Mt. Rose Highway...... (Nevada roads 341 and 431)

Bill-Are you planning to do the Virginia City Hill Climb?

65beam

Donation Time
race car

bill,
if you had said something i would have brought it home with me. i could have put a few miles on it and then delivered it back to your house in the fall. it looks great and probably turns a few heads on your side of the mountain. i dropped a bunch of parts for the harrington off in pa this past week. i hope i can make it look as good as your harrington and the rest of your cars. especially the race car.

atallamcs

Donation Time
Kind Words

Thanks all for the kind words. I am really eager to get it out and about, not to mention, on the track. Yes there are a few other things missing--some trim, some sheet metal--put the car on a diet to say the least.
Bill

65beam

Donation Time
race car

bill,
it doesn't look fat to me. in fact i bet it could stand to gain a few pounds just to get it back to alpine weight. for those of you that haven't seen bill's cars in person all i have to say is you're missing something great! the detail is fantastic.

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Bill: You build outstanding cars, this one only one of many. You are a man after my own heart....I try to build mine to as nice a standard. I have a question. I have been trying to find or make side vents for my fenders just like the ones on this Alpine. Did you have them made or is there a source for them? I am incorporating blower fans in mine to help the hot air be pushed out of the engine compartment. Thanks.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have been trying to find or make side vents for my fenders just like the ones on this Alpine. Did you have them made or is there a source for them?

There was a guy named Don Robertson in TE/AE who had some reproduction LAT vents made a few years ago. I bought a set from him for use in my V6. At the time, I believe those were his last set, but he may have had more made. Here's a link to one of his old "For Sale" ads that provides his contact details:
http://www.teae.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1145

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Thank you to both Bill and Jim for your replies. I am in process of purchasing a set of vents as a result of your information. I appreciate all the help I have gotten through this site.

bashby

Donation Time
Bill, what size of wheels & backspace are on the car? BTW the more I look at it, the more I like it and it looks great!

atallamcs

Donation Time
wheel size

On the race car, the wheels are Panasport 3 Piece Racing Wheels, 13x6. I do not recall the offsets. The wheels were carefully painted to match the car.
Bill

dtbaker61

Donation Time
On the race car, the wheels are Panasport 3 Piece Racing Wheels, 13x6. I do not recall the offsets. The wheels were carefully painted to match the car.
Bill

why did you stay with 13" and not go to lower profile with 15" for stiffer cornering and perhaps bigger disc eventually? just to 'look' more stock?

atallamcs

Donation Time
Wheel size

Remember, this is a car for the track. SCCA and other clubs would not permit that change. You must stay with the wheel size in diameter but can increase the width by an inch.
Bill

dtbaker61

Donation Time
hhhmm, well, I'm not racing, or showing, and will be converting to electric so as not to fit ANY class. ;) but would hate to look 'silly'... perhaps I will just sandblast the steels and re-paint. They look a little warped and dinged around the edges though.

The decent looking minilites from VTO are about $175/wheel which is not much more than sand-blast and powdercoat....

atallamcs

Donation Time
Silly Wheels

Well, I for one do not think they look silly. I have 13" wires on my Harrington, 14" wheels on my Alpine, 15" wheels on my Tiger. It is a matter of taste, certainly keeping the period look helps with "whatever" but as long as the overall diameter is correct, no issues with rubbing etc., you are ok. Also, depends on the application.
Bill

65beam

Donation Time
race car

bill,
i have to agree! when i stood in your garage and looked at your cars, they look great. especially the tiger. has the harrington sold yet?